A lucky find in an unlucky weekend.

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
lucakiki
G-General
G-General

A lucky find in an unlucky weekend.

Post by lucakiki » Tue Apr 06, 2004 9:08 am

During the weekend the reverse gear on my vintage tractor packed up,so I was fairly pissed,not to mention the first lawn mowing session of many that will follow until october. So it was a joy to find at a local fleamarket three more than decent cans,for 30$ the lot:
One 42 WHEELING U.S. gas, one 44 WEHRMACHT manufactured by fcx,and one of those UNDATED mistery cans with the European spout and the X indentation on the sides.The kind discussed in another thread, that some including me think to be made by the british for U.S. use. :)
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

JAB
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by JAB » Thu Apr 08, 2004 6:22 pm

I was sort of lucky myself last weekend. I was 4-wheeling with some friends & saw what was obviously a gerry can in the woods. It turned out to be a 1944 Nesco water can that was painted baby blue. Too bad it had been somewhat crunched because it was in great shape prior to that. I brought it home, even tho I doubt it can be fixed....................maybe the cap & hinge could be used to repair another one.
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

M38JEEPER
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Can

Post by M38JEEPER » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:05 am

Have you tried compressed air to try and blow the can back to shape? Might be a problem getting a air nipple to fit, but I imagine a person could retro something to work!

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Tue Apr 13, 2004 5:29 am

There are some other options as well (if it doesn't leak). You can fill it up with water and put it in a freezer, or fill it 3/4 with rice (or peas) and add water. In both cases you need to stay around to make sure the progress isn't going to far and damage occurs. 8)

Greetz :wink:

David

JAB
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by JAB » Tue Apr 13, 2004 12:11 pm

Thanx guys!

I never thought of that. When I get around to attempting to save it I'll let you know what I did & what worked. I know I won't be using steam!
-Jeff

GR8GPN2U!!!

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”