Refurbish jerry can??

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.

Post by Guest » Sun Apr 25, 2004 6:58 pm

Hi Bosco,
I'm over here at Silsbee north of Beaumont.

I sloshed some paint thinner then laquer thinner in the tank today. It still has some rust that should come out. I might try to take it to the plant I work at and stick it in the cabinet blaster and see if I can get some more out.

I still wonder if I can use Ospho rust treatment in it before I put some sealer in it.

Ken

Cacti_Ken
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Cacti_Ken » Sun Apr 25, 2004 7:04 pm

Dang it, I forgot to log in again.

Anonymous wrote:Hi Bosco,
I'm over here at Silsbee north of Beaumont.

I sloshed some paint thinner then laquer thinner in the tank today. It still has some rust that should come out. I might try to take it to the plant I work at and stick it in the cabinet blaster and see if I can get some more out.

I still wonder if I can use Ospho rust treatment in it before I put some sealer in it.

Ken
Tropical Vet 67-68,
2nd Bn, 35th Inf. Reg., 4th I.D. VN

1951 M38 DOD 10/51
1951 M100 DOD 9/51

Cacti_Ken
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Cacti_Ken » Tue Apr 27, 2004 1:41 pm

I ordered some POR15 sealer. going to give that stuff a try. I sand blasted the can and painted the outside with Ospho, will paint it later after I'm done with the inside. I couldn't get the blasting nozzle all the way in the can, so had to blast it from the outlet hole, but had mucho air pressure and volumn to reach areas in the farther ends. I posted a photo of can on http://photos.yahoo.com/kls235 but you really can tell anything except it's a gray can now.
Tropical Vet 67-68,

1951 M38 DOD 10/51
1951 M100 DOD 9/51

Cacti_Ken
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Cacti_Ken » Mon May 17, 2004 6:02 pm

After cleaning the inside of the can with Metal Ready (phosphoric acid)following instruction for cleaning as best I could. I poured in the POR15 sealer, sloshed it all around and drained it back in the quart can. Left if up side down to let it all drain out. Next day it was still tacky, So what the heck, I'll give it a double coat. Poured the POR15 into the can again and repeated same operation. Can Looks great. Dried to a very hard finish. Then I painted the out side of the can with the POR15. Will paint it OD later.
Tropical Vet 67-68,

1951 M38 DOD 10/51
1951 M100 DOD 9/51

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”