German Jerry Can ID help...

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
wheresmyjeep
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

German Jerry Can ID help...

Post by wheresmyjeep » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:47 pm

Hi everyone!
Just acquired two german fuel cans-WWII dated and would like any input on their ID / use etc. They both still have their original paint remnants, came from Austria and were apparently found in a local barn! he first is painted field grey and bears the embossing: Kraftstoff 201,Feuergefahrlich,1942. And in the center of can: AUSTRIA, WEIN. and at the bottom:251,Wehrmacht.
The second can is painted in a desert tan and embossed:Kraftstoff 201,Feuergefahrlich,1944. And in the center: das. And at the bottom: 169,Wehrmacht.
Some data is obvious but what significance do the other numbers have?
Any insight you guys have would be great! Thanks

Phil
43 MB

wheresmyjeep
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by wheresmyjeep » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:48 pm

Also,
How common are german SS jerry cans? We have two in great shape.

Phil
43 MB

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Post by lucakiki » Sun Oct 19, 2003 12:57 pm

One thing I can answer is that you should read 20 l, not 201:it is twenty litres! As for SS cans,they are scarce,only manufactured by Sandrik,and there are some faked ones around.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Sun Oct 19, 2003 1:37 pm

The data stamped in the center indicates the manufacturer, and "Wehrmacht" indicates it was used by either the army, airforce or navy. The meaning of the number in front of the "Wehrmacht" is unknown (at least by me). SS cans are rare but not extinct; I see them (originals) regularly. Like Luca said copies are being made in Eastern-Europe. :wink:

Greetz

David

wheresmyjeep
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by wheresmyjeep » Sun Oct 19, 2003 4:01 pm

So does this make the "das" in the center of one can the manufacturer?

Phil
43 mb

David
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by David » Mon Oct 20, 2003 6:15 am

Yes, "das" is the manufacturer although I don't know now what company that is, since this is the first time I've come across their name. I'll put the name on the list I made above. Regarding the "Austria Wien" name; it might be possbile that it is the same company as "Austria Email" (with a variation in the stampings), although I'm not sure. All original WWII SS cans were made by Sandrik, and all original WWII cans made by Sandrik were for the SS as this company had the exclusive contract. :wink:

Greetz

David

Chuck Lutz

Jerry's Cans

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Oct 20, 2003 9:30 am

While we are getting our Data Base together for the US made cans, we should do the same for at least the British....and of course for the German varieties. I see that we have one made by "das" and the 1941 can I have was made by "dwc".

I'd like someone to provide the actual name of the companies that made the cans, since SANDRIK was identified as the sole maker of the SS marked cans, someone must know the names of the other companies and where they were from.

Any ideas out there?

Can we get the "stickies" at the top of the forum listing the US made cans to also start listing the British and German makers? By companie name and the letter or stamping info?

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

LISTS

Post by lucakiki » Mon Oct 20, 2003 10:47 am

Chuck,that is what David started,and is supposed to do.Perhaps he could edit the topic title to make it similar to the U.S. STICKY lists.In mine I tried to put the names in alphabetical order,and also acknowledged all the welcome contributions.David is the expert in German cans;I know very little,and I only have one myself.Philippe posted about british cans,so his info can be integrated in the sticky list of british W/I\D cans.Let us limit those to War time;a list of post war can be done if any one wants to,but should be separated from WWII.While we are at it,I would like to thank once more Ron Fitzpatrick for the forum:I wonder what he thinks of its results.I have posted a few questions on cans,in the hope that some guy with the right info can shade some light on the shady corners of liquid containers culture(sounds good huh?) :wink:
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

wheresmyjeep
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by wheresmyjeep » Mon Oct 20, 2003 1:08 pm

Good info guys!
The two German SS cans are original and are indeed marked SANDRIK at the bottom of each can. That's good confirmation for me. Hope someone can come up with some skinny on the mysterious "das" manufactured can. Apparently, this is the first time this "brand" name has come up.

Phil
43 MB

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”