Restoring old water cans for use

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
faabala
G-Major
G-Major

Restoring old water cans for use

Post by faabala » Mon Sep 22, 2003 7:11 am

I have been researching what type of product to use to reline watercans so they can be used with potable water again. I have looked a number of different types of potable water 2-part epoxy paints and found they are almost impossible to obtain in small quantities. If I want to paint the inside of the town water tower then it would be no problem. Sherwin-Williams has one such product that is $200.00 for one gallon of epoxy and one gallon of hardener.

So I stumbled upon a product used by beekeepers. They use this food grade epoxy product to restore old galvanized honey extractors and holding tanks. It is only $9.00-10.00 per Quart. That should be enough to do at least two water cans. It can be found at

http://www.beeequipment.com/shop.asp
Search for "Camcote"

or

http://www.betterbee.com/products.asp?dept=1278

I will be ordering some to try on a 1944 Monarch that has only a little rust in the seams. Most of the paint is still intact. I'll use some navel jelly on the rust before applying the "Camcote". I plan to just slosh the Camcote around like gas tank sealer, drain it, and let it dry.

I'll let you all know how it works.
Dave Thomas
1942 Harley WLA
(FORMER MEMBER) MVPA#24602

JOIN MY 42 WLA yahoo group
http://autos.groups.yahoo.com/group/42WLA/

Chuck Lutz

Hmm

Post by Chuck Lutz » Mon Sep 22, 2003 12:09 pm

Dave:
I would be VERY interested in what you find when using the product to restore the Water/Food can you have.
1) How easy to use.
2) What color is the inside of the can when process is done.
3) Is there a residual taste in the water or smell in the can.
4) After using the product, would you recommend it to your gee buddies or use it on other Water/Food cans you have.

This would be great for the inside of ONE of my W/F cans that has a perfect liner...except the lower three inches....I suspect gas or diesel was put in there and it attacked the lining, so I can't use it for anything now except display purposes.

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

COOL IT,BUT DO NOT DRINK ...

Post by lucakiki » Thu Sep 25, 2003 10:36 am

Guys,I agree that restoring cans in such a way that they can hold DRINKING water would be the optimum.But as a second option,restoring them so the lining looks good,and they can hold water for the cooling radiator,which by the way I guess was the reason for many side mounted cans,can be done with products for motorbike tanks.One brand I know of is Tankerite.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Chuck Lutz

line it.

Post by Chuck Lutz » Thu Sep 25, 2003 6:45 pm

Luca....there is a product here called "POR 15" that is used to reline gas tanks (Except the ones with the biscuit filter in them!).

Also, you can get the stuff at any shop that MAKES or repairs motorcycles as you mentioned, and I have heard that a similar product it available for airplanes....it has a shelf life date here in the states where the FAA makes them throw it out after a certain time so it may be available in Italy under the same conditions for a cheap price when out-dated.

BUT...if anyone comes up with a good product to reline the Food cans...let me know!

faabala
G-Major
G-Major

beware of the sealer

Post by faabala » Thu Sep 25, 2003 7:41 pm

I would be careful using any type of gas tank sealer. Modern gas has too many additives and it will peel off or dissolve. I have done a lot of research in this subject regarding motorcycle tanks. Oxygenated Gas and gas with alcohol will eat that up in a minute. I have read reports that even the so called alcohol resisitant sealer won't hold up. I'm still trying to find the wonder product to fix up some gas cans.

I have the Camcote in hand. It arrived yesterday. I will experiment this weekend and let you all know how it goes. I think it will work fine if I can get the inside well covered before it sets up too much.
Dave Thomas
1942 Harley WLA

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

water can relining

Post by lucakiki » Fri Sep 26, 2003 5:00 am

Right you are,Faabala:but we were talking about Water cans. So if the water is for non drink use, the gas tank sealer might work ok...
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

Rietveld

watercans

Post by Rietveld » Mon Sep 29, 2003 12:20 am

I have used a special paint for watertanks before. Its developed for ships.
You will find it at shipyards . It has the same colour like they used in the watercans. Other stuff will kill you.

Will find out who makes it.

Jaap.

faabala
G-Major
G-Major

It works!

Post by faabala » Mon Sep 29, 2003 7:11 am

I am happy to report the first two coats of "Camcote" are inside the can. It is looking really nice. The finish is clear epoxy so any flaws inside the can will be visible but it will be safe to drink from. The "Camcote" needs to mixed well. It will look like honey when mixed. Be advised a little goes a long way. I poured about half the quart can inside and kept turning the can to get an even coat. I then drained out the excess. I only needed about 3/4 cup or 180ML. If I did it again I would only put in enough to cover the bottom and then drain the excess. I then suspended a light bulb inside to speed up the setting process and it was perfectly dry the next morning. I then did a second coat this morning. I will probably do two more coats and be finished. I am very happy with this product and will report further if there is any after taste or problems. The coating is flexable so I don't think it will come off in normal use and beekeepers say it will not affect the taste of honey so it should be the same for water.
Dave Thomas
1942 Harley WLA

lindyp38
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by lindyp38 » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:47 am

BTT
MARIO...45MB(COOKIE)
407294,dod 1-16-45,106th Cavalry
05-1966 M-416 TRAILER
MVPA MEMBER 24420
1941 Plymouth sedan
1965 FORD GALAXIE 4DR SEDAN

Derek Eddlestone
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Gas Can Lining

Post by Derek Eddlestone » Thu Aug 25, 2005 3:02 am

Dave,

I have nine jerry cans of US/German and British wartime production that I've re-lined with the POR 15 gas tank sealer. The process is quite time consuming if you follow the instructions and the cans have to be water washed and dried thoroughly at a couple of stages but it's worth the effort.The first ones I did were three or four years ago and they are as good as new. I have a 1940 German Can of spare gasoline on the back of my jeep permanently (easier to use than US equivelant) and it holds 20 liters in the full sun without leaking. It just changes shape slightly. I work for ExxonMobil and you are right about the additives in Gasoline but the lining in my cans has not been affected by anything yet. Trust me, it works.

Derek.

Johan Van Keer
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Johan Van Keer » Tue Oct 03, 2006 1:09 am

Jaap,

Ay led to this paint you've been talking about? Do you have it in stock?

Johan

Derek Eddlestone
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Derek Eddlestone » Tue Oct 03, 2006 10:58 am

Johan Van Keer wrote:Jaap,

Ay led to this paint you've been talking about? Do you have it in stock?

Johan
Johan,

Try asking about the paint at a yacht marina. One company that makes all sorts of paint like that is International Paints. They have a web site and phone numbers for contact.

Derek.

SteveJ
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by SteveJ » Sun Nov 12, 2006 10:27 am

Does anyone know what the original coating was on the inside of the watercans? It looks like some kind of enamel paint. All the cans Ive seen have the same coating so it must have been quite common at one time. Im wondering if its still available somewhere?:)

Steve J
1943 Dodge WC52
1986 Armstrong / Harley Davidson MT500 CDN motorcycle

faabala
G-Major
G-Major

Post by faabala » Mon Nov 13, 2006 10:34 am

The closest match I can find is Krylon "Woven Tapestry". It is a pain to get the spray can to shot the entire interior but will work a little effort.
Dave Thomas
1942 Harley WLA

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Re: Restoring old water cans for use

Post by gerrykan » Sun Nov 18, 2018 4:54 pm

Roy

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”