WANTED: British, Italian and German jerry cans

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
wheresmyjeep
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

WANTED: British, Italian and German jerry cans

Post by wheresmyjeep » Mon Aug 04, 2003 9:27 pm

Hello everyone!
Looking for WWII British, Italian and German fuel and water cans. Any leads, I'l love to hear from ya!
Phil

lucakiki
G-General
G-General

Italian cans

Post by lucakiki » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:03 am

Hi Phil,you seem to be the first on this forum interested in italian cans.There is a post on them in this forum,and I am glad to add something,in case it might interest you.On an australian site the Italians were credited with being the originators of the jerrycan,but I do not think this is correct,even if I would like so.For sure the Italians cans of 1940 predated both U.S. and british cans,which are the commonest of them all.All Italian cans did NOT have any manufacturing date,nor a manufacturer name.But there is a quick way to establish if they were made before or after 42.The early ones had two different halves,one with the X stamping as on early German cans,and the other with the usual pattern as on German and laterly British cans. Later cans had this same pattern on both halves.R.E. for Regio Esercito(Royal Army) and 20 litres,were the only lettering to be found on them,along with a tiny Brev. inscription,short for Brevettato,Italian for patented.Italian cans are quite uncommon,mainly for having been built in much smaller quantities and having been used mainly in Africa.But the R.A. marked cans,meaning Regia Aereonautica (Royal Airforce)are really scarce.Some collectors are not even aware of their very exhistance.
Luca

WillysMB#344142 6-19-44 Navy N.S.Blue Grey
45 Bantam T-3 #57248 1-10-45
42 Willys MB-T #13560 11-42
43 Willys MB-T # 25417 4-43
Way too many WWII military tools,hopefully thinning down,and way too many posts...

wheresmyjeep
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Post by wheresmyjeep » Mon Aug 18, 2003 7:51 am

Thanks Luca!
I'm quite sure these cans are rare. As you are IN Italy, if you run across any Let me know. Our WWII reenacting unit is doing a British SAS impression (North Africa) and would love to get hold of at least one can if not more at some point when they can be found. Thanks again for the info and let me know if you find any.

Phil

42 GPW 75591
43 MB

Hobo
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by Hobo » Mon Aug 18, 2003 8:30 am

...I was just thinking, did the Soviets also have their own cans ?

They surely got many WH ones from the battlefields left behind by the Germans and they might also have had the US cans, supplied together with lend lease vehicles...

But other than those 200 ltr drums as seen on the back of the T-34 (and other) tanks, I never have noticed any other canisters for fuel with special features on period pictures!
Lars-Uwe Rudek
GPW 213313 (HOBO) DoD 7-26-44
GPW 261254 (SUSIE BLUE) DoD 3-26-45 (est.)
MB 177547 (JONSEY) DoD 9-28-42
MB 290875 (HOBBES) DoD 12-21-43

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”