Gerry or Jerry Cans for sale coming up...

Manufacturers, production numbers, configurations, etc.
Rustman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Gerry or Jerry Cans for sale coming up...

Post by Rustman » Fri Oct 05, 2018 4:06 am

Well the WW2 dated ones will have a broad following from reenactors as well as vehicle people. The later ones will appeal more to vehicle people. Let me know if you have a 1967 gas can. I have a 1967 M151A1 and it would be fun to match that up.

You might do a few overall shots of all the cans then either pictures of the markings on the bottom or transcribing all the markings on the bottom. Especially for the WW2 dated ones. There are certain manufacturers and years that collectors look for.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1967 Ford M-151A1

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 11:45 am

Just list them by date and maker. Water or gas. And condition. And price. Then you can post pictures as you can; 50 at once will be overwhelming for you and customers.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

dpcd67
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Oct 07, 2018 7:20 pm

I have paid $15 to 40 for them and have seen asking prices for double that; post what you want for them. Look on that big auction site; there are always lots of them there; just looked and they are priced from 15 to 150. And they cost another $20 to ship which makes selling them by mail harder than at a show.
Yes you will need pictures at some point.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Rustman
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by Rustman » Mon Oct 08, 2018 7:01 am

Early galvanized cans, war dated water cans and water cans with GOOD condition inner linings bring a premium over most other cans.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1967 Ford M-151A1

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 6:21 pm

The liner appeared to be an enamel like paint that kept the can from rusting.

WWII gasoline cans had no interior coating other than a light oil when new, but WWII non-galvanized water cans did have a lining to prevent rust.

Later gasoline cans had a light tan interior coating.

1944 gasoline cans are somewhat scarce in the USA as production was halted, and then restarted to try to cover a shortage of gasoline cans in the European Theater of Operations due to the Allies rapid advance towards Germany.
1944 water cans seem to be fairly common in the USA.

A can will usually hold more value to an individual if it is dated near the year of manufacture of the vehicle they are putting it on.

1941 galvanized cans with a two lug lid usually command higher prices than later WWII era cans, with the Water can seemingly rarer than the Gasoline can.

Marine Corps cans with U.S.M.C. embossed in the side(not the bottom) are also more sought after.
A can with USMC embossed in the bottom of the can stands for U S Metal Container, the manufacturer of the can.

Cans with USN embossed into the side will also bring a premium price.
Roy

gerrykan
G-General
G-General

Post by gerrykan » Tue Oct 09, 2018 7:02 pm

I don't remember with out looking, but in WWII the USA and Great Britain alone made something like 10's of millions.
Roy

RedArrow2016
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by RedArrow2016 » Fri Oct 12, 2018 5:08 pm

Well this is RedCross184 now using RedArrow2016...

I am back on the G and to telling you the truth after talking to Ron the owner of G503 we really do not know what the problem was why they had me leave the G, Ron thoughts were that I might of been hacked some how but none the less I am going to be going through all these posts and getting my count back to where it was before so that people see that it is me. But take care and if you have any question send me a message here and I would be more then happy to helping you out...
US ARMY 1995-2000
32nd Brigade,126th Field Artillery, Battery D
redarrowarmyparts.org

Return to “Gerry Cans or Jerry Cans”