Is antenna mast lower section repairable?

Radio Telephone and Telegraph Transmitting and Receiving Equipment
Boraxo
banned

Is antenna mast lower section repairable?

Post by Boraxo » Fri Sep 24, 2021 12:09 pm

Got this one on my M151 and it got away from me and snapped at the base. Don't use them as live antenna's, just static display. Can anything be done to secure this broken fibreglass back up? Or, so I look for a new base section? I understand different threads and size for different base units so they could not get mixed up in the field. Is there a number or something for me to look for if I need to replace it?
broke antenna.JPG

Kurt Lesser
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: Is antenna mast lower section repairable?

Post by Kurt Lesser » Sat Sep 25, 2021 6:41 am

There's no easy way to repair these antennas. You can try it but it's nearly impossible to make them look good and repairing the wire inside isn't possible either. They silly thing about them is it'll cost you more to send it than they cost unless you can find one locally.

Size has nothing to do with them. The mast section matches the antenna base. An Mx6707 uses a 3/4" pipe thread and an AS-3900 uses a 1" thread. It's also a good idea to put a standard PVC pipe cap on the matching unit when stored. Keeping the mast pulled over will eventually cause it to take a set and stay arced over time.
Kurt Lesser
US Navy, 1969-1975
M996A1 Ambulance w/M101A3 Trailer
M274A2 Mule
M151A1 Mutt w/M416B1 Trailer
M890 Crew cab

GPW43
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GPW43 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:11 am

I have to second Kurt,
I have lost few antennas connecting with Oak tree heavy branches and I was only able to repair one top section, lower section at that location gets tons of stress and getting the repair done is time consuming to say the least. Getting the inside element to conduct is also a challenge. The cost vs. time value is JUST not there. Since you snapped it right outside of the metal portion you could potentially dig out the old section on a lathe and fashion something by glueing the remaining section and filling out the different with a high quality epoxy (not Harbor Freight stuff please);

Getting the internal wire to connect is key to that setup, in essence your lower section would be about 1.700" or so shorter.

GP
Zareh
GPW 43
BMW R27
BMW R35

GPW43

Post by GPW43 » Sun Sep 26, 2021 12:12 am

I have to second Kurt,
I have lost few antennas sections connecting with Oak tree branches and I was only able to repair one top section; Newer bothered with the lower sections. That location gets tons of stress and getting the repair done is time consuming to say the least. Getting the inside element to conduct is also a challenge like Kurt indicated. The cost vs. time value is JUST not there. Since you snapped it right outside of the metal portion you could potentially dig out the old section on a lathe and fashion something by glueing the remaining section and filling out the different with a high quality epoxy (not Harbor Freight stuff please);
If you are digging out the remaining fiberglass from the inside of the metal section don't breath that stuff and do clean your lathe well, you don't want that fiber stuff in your eyes or lungs (MASK is a must).

Getting the internal wire to connect is key to that setup, in essence your lower section would be about 1.700" or so shorter.

GP
Zareh
GPW 43
BMW R27
BMW R35

Boraxo
banned

Post by Boraxo » Sun Sep 26, 2021 6:07 am

Now that I know what to look for, I'll measure the base threads and see if I can pick up a lower section replacement. As I mentioned in the original post, I do not use this antenna, so repairing the internal wire is not a concern. In fact, putting stress on this joint by using the tie downs over the hood is realy not a concern either. I can dismount it and only mount it in a static display situation, but it still sounds like not much chance of a useable repair. I know duct tape did not work. I was thinking a sleeve of some sort slipped over both sections and clamped tight, but two different diameters to go over.

Oh, well...

Return to “Radio's and Communications”