Military GPS system from Desert Storm "SLUGGER"

Radio Telephone and Telegraph Transmitting and Receiving Equipment
KSDUSTOFF34
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Military GPS system from Desert Storm "SLUGGER"

Post by KSDUSTOFF34 » Thu Jan 21, 2010 3:48 am

Wondering if anyone out there knows anything about a GPS System used during Desert Storm or soon there after it was called a " Slugger" or i think it was SLGR? Any info helpful thanks Kitch
65 M151A1
67 M151A1
51 M38

Bill, Idaho
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Re: Military GPS system from Desert Storm "SLUGGER"

Post by Bill, Idaho » Thu Jan 21, 2010 4:47 am

First there was the "trimpack". It went off of (I think) 4 satellites. A couple of minor variations of that model.
Those begat the "Plugger". Some had encryption capabilities, some didn't. There were tan ones and green ones, and I think most were made by Honeywell. As I recall, those could be accurate to within a foot! There was a pretty good thread going on on another forum, but I cannot find it right now. Some of the Pluggers were very well spoken for, and other were given out like candy. I guess during Katrina, some Pluggers were handed out and it turned out to be ones that were supposed to be "in the other group".
The newest ones are called a "Dagger". (I dont recall what the DAGR stands for). It's made by Rockwell Collins. Those reference off of up to 12 satellites. Those have a really keen graphic display screen.
I'll look for that other thread.

Ralph Fuller
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph Fuller » Thu Jan 21, 2010 1:53 pm

Check out this site. Click below:
http://www.army.mil/-news/2008/02/24/74 ... ert-storm/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Ralph
67 M151A1
67 M151A1
67 M416
47 T3-C Bantam trailer
A veteran is someone who, at one
point in their life, wrote a blank check
made payable to 'The United States of
America ' for an amount of 'up to and including my life.'

Timberwolf
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by Timberwolf » Sat Mar 13, 2010 8:39 am

"SLGR" is the AN/PSN-10 GPS made by Trimble, and is a variant of the civilian Trimble "Trimpack" series used by surveyors. It was a three channel unit that gave you a 2D fix only (i.e. no elevation) if you couldn't see enough satellites, and a 3D fix if it could. As another respondent has already indicated there are a number of different versions out there, the last of which was the AN/ASN-169 SAGR fitted to aircraft, which was basically made from the earlier SLGR units returned to Trimble for ugprade. In Desert Storm they had some of the green AN/PSN-10 SLGRs, but also used a lot of the civvy black Trimpack units. Stupidly the Government included the SLGRs in the DEMIL D category along with Centurion and SAGR despite the fact they don't have any crypto hardware to decode the military-only P(Y) signal, but there are still many out there in private hands which show up on Ebay and at gun shows for about $150 each. What's a bit harder to find are the external antennas and SLGR mounts. SLGR was used as both a portable and vehicle-mounted unit, and I have a couple of pics showing some interesting mounting configurations in HMMWVs demonstrating how quickly and haphazardly GPS was fielded in the Gulf.

SLGR was bascially replaced by the AN/PSN-11 "PLGR" handheld unit in 1992-1993. PLGR is a large handheld unit with an alphanumeric display (i.e. no graphics or maps etc.) made by Rockwell-Collins. PLGR was a military-only GPS made in tan or green depending on the variant and sometimes the customer, and had the crypto hardware to decode the military-only P(Y) GPS signal that civvyside units cannot. Rockwell-Collins also made a civilian version less the crypto hardware called the HNV-500 which looks identical to its military-only brothers (including 'ZEROIZE' on the front panel) which show up from time to time on Ebay and are basically interchangeable with the PLGR in terms of mounts and accessories. Military PLGR was also procured by other government agencies like USDA Foresty and DNR for surveying etc. under a 'Memorandum of Understanding' with the military which allowed them access to the crypto keys on a yearly basis in order to receive the military signal.

PLGR is now being replaced by the AN/PSN-13A "DAGR" which is more in line with what's offered out there on civvystreet by manufacturers like Garmin, but which still falls a bit short in the feature department when compared with civvy units. It too is made by Rockwell Collins as a military-only model though a civilian model is also offered which looks identical called the Polaris Guide.

SLGR: Small Lightweight GPS receiver
PLGR: Precision Lightweight GPS receiver
SAGR: Stand-Alone GPS receiver
DAGR: Defense Advanced GPS receiver

mendoza
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by mendoza » Sun Nov 14, 2021 11:13 am

How do I set-up my Rockwell HNV-500A TO GET A SATALITE FIX LOCATION ?

42GPW
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by 42GPW » Wed Nov 17, 2021 6:18 pm

"SLGR" worked best if you could get 5 satellites. My PL always had me get it setup. 81mm mortars 82nd 1st gulf war. Green squre shape roughly ( 8"×8"×2.5") with green digital readout. They were better than nothing in the desert. But stateside. Our BC wouldnt allow them to be used. To many things available to do terrain association.
About a year after we got back we got the plugger. Also switched over from the prc77 and RT 524 to the sincgars radio. Those we were happy to see, much lighter to jump in.

Matt R
1947 cj2a
1956 dj-3a dispatcher
1946 t3c
U.S Army (11C3P2B) 1989-2006
82nd Abn, 1st Gulf War Vet
101st Abn oif/oef Vet
2ID Korea
40th Inf
45th Inf

GPW43
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GPW43 » Thu Nov 18, 2021 8:50 am

Nice articles.. hardest thing to find for the SLGR was the flimsy mount it came with.
GP
Zareh
GPW 43
BMW R27
BMW R35

Return to “Radio's and Communications”