WTB BC-611 Radio

Radio Telephone and Telegraph Transmitting and Receiving Equipment
Data Plate
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

WTB BC-611 Radio

Post by Data Plate » Thu Nov 08, 2018 7:09 pm

Looking to buy a nice BC-611 my Birthdays in a few weeks and looking to get myself a present, Anyone looking to sell one send me a PM thanks also could use a battery holder for the one side i think its called a FT-501 ?
Last edited by Data Plate on Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:36 pm, edited 1 time in total.

wa5cab
CWO4 (Ordnance) USNR

Re: WTB BC-611 Radio

Post by wa5cab » Fri Nov 09, 2018 1:09 am

It's FT-501. There was one made of a block of phenolic in the center and brass plated steel sticking out each end. And then there were ones made of molded plastic in several different colors. With the metal and phenolic one, before installing cells check the black insulation around the poative leg and insure that it is OK. If it isn't, the cell loaded into that end will quickly get very hot.

When using either variant, you are better off in the long run only installing one premium alkaline cell. If you install two, make sure that both are of the same make and age and service. And even with doing that, load the two cells into the holder and let it sit on the bench for an hour or until it begins to get hot. If it gets hot, pull the cells and try two more. Or just use one. It appears that the "modern" alkaline ones often don't play well in parallel service like the original carbon-zinc ones did.
Gunner
USN Retired
MVPA 9480

Data Plate
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: WTB BC-611 Radio

Post by Data Plate » Fri Nov 09, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks for that info,

Return to “Radio's and Communications”