FS: Restored WW2 M5 "Invasion" Gas Masks (2)

Living History / Reenacting uniforms, field gear, and equiptment, Wanted, For Sale (NO EBAY ITEMS) or Trade.
AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

FS: Restored WW2 M5 "Invasion" Gas Masks (2)

Post by AZ Jeff » Mon Feb 06, 2023 2:43 pm

I have two restored WW2 M5 "Invasion" Gas Masks to sell. Probably the most Iconic of the WW2 U.S. CWS respirators and the thing that was supposed to be in those black rubberized bags you see in the Saving Private Ryan Dog-Green Beach sequence.

I purchased three project masks at last year's SOS and just the other day finally got round to completing the restorations. This is what I bought (they ALL looked like this +/-)...

02.06.23 M5 Invasion Mask (as purchased).jpg

I knew from past experience that the black neoprene rubber usually holds up very well (and these were no exception) so I simply had to "squint" and imagine if the REST was doable.

Most parts were removed, cleaned, and refinished. I added NOS WW2 filters. I replicated the cloth sealing tape around the exhaust valve and filter fitting using WW2 era cloth tape refinished in the CWS gray color and glued into place. I think they came out pretty nicely...

02.06.23 Restored M5 Invasion Mask (front).jpg

02.06.23 Restored M5 Invasion Mask (back).jpg

The mask depicted is the one I'm keeping and yes, it was nicer than the other two but only marginally so. ALL of them have rust staining on the harness elastic, some rust/corrosion on the buckles (actually less on the two I'm selling), worn, but intact, elastic and plastic lens issues. I am offering the following two for sale:

Mask #2 -- very similar to the image above, slightly more age and stains. $500.

Mask #3 -- Ditto, only more wear to the edges of the triangle junction on the harness. One plastic eye piece could use some more plastic polishing (slightly hazy). $480.

Yep, I too remember when you could buy these masks with the NOS bag and shipping box for less than these prices. But I'm not investing any more money in a time machine.

Prices do not include postage (figure Medium Flat Rate). Please PM direct if interested. Thanks for looking!

These will be at the upcoming 2023 SOS in Louisville if unsold by then.

Jeff Q.
AZ

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: FS: Restored WW2 M5 "Invasion" Gas Masks (2)

Post by AZ Jeff » Wed Mar 01, 2023 5:55 am

Mask #3 is sold. Mask #2 still available.

I saw ONE (1) other M-5 at the recent SOS. It had a trashed head harness, postwar M-11 filter and a salty invasion bag... for $600.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Wanted, For Sale”