Passing of Steve Gay, Pacific NW living historian, WA state...

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Passing of Steve Gay, Pacific NW living historian, WA state...

Post by Lee Bishop » Thu Aug 18, 2022 9:24 am

FOWJ_1995-11-01.jpeg
Steve Gay passed away on August 11, 2022. Though it came as a surprise to myself, I now think Steve knew something like this could likely happen. He never made a big deal about any medical issues.
He was 71.
Steve was very well known in the Pacific NW, especially among the Seattle and Portland groups. He was a founding member of the Friends of Willie and Joe and personally got permission from Bill Mauldin to use his classic character's names in the group name, in the 90s.
He will be missed by many. To call him a 'center of gravity' within the hobby would be an understatement. He was always around to give a hand on projects, find things for displays or even to lend a hand when your MV wasn't running well (I'll never forget the two of us crowded under the engine of my 1944 MB, replacing the oil float in the middle of the night before a show the next day, and us giving each other high fives as we test drove it around the park in utter darkness after seeing the oil pressure was correct).
I've been recently informed that a memorial ceremony will take place at the Olympic Flight Museum on August 27 starting at 1PM. The Friends of Willie and Joe Facebook page apparently will have details soon (sorry, i can't share a link or more info as I'm not on Facebook).

God speed, Steven. You will certainly be missed.
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

chibobber
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Re: Passing of Steve Gay, Pacific NW living historian, WA state...

Post by chibobber » Thu Aug 18, 2022 6:05 pm

Lee,
Sorry for the lose of your friend.
Bob

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Tue Aug 30, 2022 9:13 am

I'd posted this for anyone outside the area who knew Steven. His memorial service was this past Saturday and a lot of people attended (several who drove their own Jeeps). Steve's two WW2 Jeeps, his Chevy 1.5 ton WW2 truck and model A were driven there by family members; a very nice touch.
For anyone in the Pacific NW who knew him (and a lot of people out here did), he'll be very missed.
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

OldGPW
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by OldGPW » Sun Sep 04, 2022 6:01 pm

I never knew him, but he sounds like a solid guy. Condolences to his family and friends. RIP
Old GPW.

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”