Save the Historic 29th Division Patch

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
Riverine
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Save the Historic 29th Division Patch

Post by Riverine » Sat May 28, 2022 11:29 am

I apologize Moderators if I posted this in the wrong forum. I thought others might find this of interest.

https://29thdivisionassociation.com/savethepatch/

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Re: Save the Historic 29th Division Patch

Post by Lee Bishop » Thu Jun 16, 2022 8:27 am

I... I don't even have the words.
If you look up the history of the man who designed this, the Army never had a bigger supporter for racial equality. He was clearly trying to show the end of the "us-them" mindset that existed in the east decades after the Civil War was over!
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

hell-fire
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by hell-fire » Fri Jun 17, 2022 1:05 am

I signed the petition, this political correctness is really getting beyond a Joke. Hopefully logic will prevail.
John
Australia
Member VMVC #192
1942 Willys MB-BRT 135673 D.O.D. 4-16-42 Now 97% finished

wc56daveyboy
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by wc56daveyboy » Fri Jun 17, 2022 4:37 am

Ridiculous. Just becuse it has “grey” in the color scheme?

What’s next? The 42nd “rainbow division”?

Oh wait.. that won’t happen.

Bluedevil1
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bluedevil1 » Fri Jun 17, 2022 12:47 pm

I get that the patch has a solid story and history behind it but like also it's a deliberate choice to invoke the color scheme of the confederacy. Per Ulio himself: "Recognizing the unique composition of the 29th, bringing together units from North and South".

That's the rub. Why should the US Army have a patch that includes confederate symbols?

Ya know, the confederacy a group of states that decided leaving the Union to preserve the institution of slavery was a good choice. Really slavery was going to go away anyways on its own, thanks to the Industrial revolution and technology. But hey that's the hill the South wanted to die.

What's more, is that "the bringing together of North and South" was done so on the ruins of the failed Reconstruction and the rise of Jim Crow.

Do we really want the US Army in 2022 to honor confederate symbolism? Probably not.

Could some exceptions be made and maybe the Patch should instead serve as a reminder that fighting a civil war against each other is stupid (even today or whatever happens after 2024, it's so dumb to fight a civil war or launch an insurrection against your own people)? Probably.

That's kinda where I am at with this and have signed it. Hopefully, the patch will stay and be recontextualized.
-->This Machine Kills Fascists.<---

"Corporate Welfare, the modern subsidy for the American Elite."

5th Rangers (Reenacted)
88th Infantry Division (Reenacted)
10th Armored (Reenacted)
82nd Airborne (Reenacted)

DogDoc
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by DogDoc » Fri Jun 17, 2022 3:30 pm

Cancel culture is just one step closer to naziism. Understanding our history so we don’t make the same mistakes is extremely important. Hopefully common sense will prevail. It would be nice if we knew how the people who have served it the 29th feel about this.
43 GPW 110748
52 M38
44 Bantam T3
45 GPW 277391

Bluedevil1
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Bluedevil1 » Sat Jun 18, 2022 4:13 am

Cancel culture is as American as Baseball and Jazz. We literally cancelled 30k tories and took their money and property and ran them out to Canada at the end of the Rev War. We also canceled the Confederacy.

It's not about having common sense, whatever that means, it's about asking ourselves as a country do we want to continue to attach symbols in society related to the Confederacy and Lost Cause Crimp One Off?

Inherently both are part of our history but I would argue not everything related to them needs to come down but most sure as hell need to be rethought and recontextualized.
-->This Machine Kills Fascists.<---

"Corporate Welfare, the modern subsidy for the American Elite."

5th Rangers (Reenacted)
88th Infantry Division (Reenacted)
10th Armored (Reenacted)
82nd Airborne (Reenacted)

BERLIN RED

Post by BERLIN RED » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:06 pm

Good news. Looks like the patch is here to stay!

Hammerhead
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hammerhead » Mon Jul 25, 2022 4:11 pm

That IS good news. Who would have thought Fort Bragg, Fort Hood, Fort Benning, Fort Polk and others would be renamed because we're in the land of the offended!
1943 White M-3 Halftrack, 1944 CCKW 353, 1945 MB, 1944 Bantam T3,
1945 Ben-Hur 1-ton trailer, MVPA 12610, NRA Life Member

Manu-Military
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Manu-Military » Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:49 pm

Being French and passionate about the history of WW2 and a modeler for the last 40 years, I was of course very interested in the history of the American units which made the D-Day landings, of which the 29th was a part.
Later I learned that the 29ers were the liberators of my mother's town, Vire in Normandy on August 18 where a monument to commemorate this event is erected.
For all these reasons, I found the idea of removing the historical badge to be simply indecent and the reason very stupid.
This is why, although being very distant from the political and administrative considerations of American society and its army, I decided to sign this petition to do something at my level.
I am very happy to learn that this decision now appears to be on hold.

Here is the monument in Vire :
viremonument29th10.jpg
viremonument29th1.jpg
And another one in a village on the route to Saint Lô:
saintclairsurlellemonu25.jpg
Just because
FWNF.jpg
manu-military.e-monsite.com

Hammerhead
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hammerhead » Tue Jul 26, 2022 9:03 pm

Wow thanks for sharing those pictures!!
1943 White M-3 Halftrack, 1944 CCKW 353, 1945 MB, 1944 Bantam T3,
1945 Ben-Hur 1-ton trailer, MVPA 12610, NRA Life Member

loni17thAirD
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by loni17thAirD » Fri Aug 19, 2022 5:13 pm

I saw this same subject about the 29th Infantry Division patch, don't remember where. I'm shocked the US Army let it stand as is, maybe be in five to ten years it to will change. The US Army is going woke like everything else. I'm not sure about the cancel culture idea. Americans have almost always tried stand for what they believed in even if it was wrong. That would include the civil war, Jim crow and its aftermath. All of that is part of our history, good, bad and ugly. I was blessed to have traveled and lived in 23 different countries, none of them were like the United States of America.

Hal Joyce
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Post by Hal Joyce » Wed Aug 30, 2023 7:18 pm

See those Confederate flags, on those French monuments! It’s called history! Those ignorant of history or doomed to repeat it! Go ahead and cancel culture the American South’s military history and the part it played in the early formation of this WWI formed unit. Most of the Southern doughboy soldiers still had living relatives that survived the war of Northern Aggression. In 1917 they weren’t real eager to fight for the heavy handed Uncle Sam. Most yankee northerners want to believe the Civil War was fought over slavery, not over the South leaving the Union and taking the largest source of tariff revenues, her source of cotton for the Northern mills, a large portion of her markets for Northern manufactured goods, and control of the mouth of the Mississippi. If slavery was such a revered issue by the North, why in 1861 did the North allow the largest slave ports in America to operate out of both New York City and Boston? Follow the convicting money instead of the lying propaganda! These early Southern WWI soldiers were very reluctant to fight for the nation that burned and ravaged the South and its Cities, and then with victorious reconstruction took through taxation and illegal means all the valuable properties and farms to profit Northern carpetbaggers. In museums and parks throughout the Southern states are mounuments ( fastly being removed) with these same flag emblems in reunion parks that were paid for by Confederate soldiers surviving relatives. 1917 dated photos at these reunions show surviving soldiers still proudly displaying their Confederate battle flags. I am from Texas, my GG Grandfather died of illness, in the Confederate army, in 1863. He and three brothers all served in the Texas Confederate Cavalry. I am proud they didn’t shirk their Nations call. I have 5 relatives from that same bloodline that served North and South Carolina during the Revolutionary War, and our heritage of service under the Gadsden Flag is a proud one ( Don’t Tread on Me). This cancel culture and claiming any white conservative is a racist terrorist, seems to have a lack of knowledge of history and is on the verge of attempting to repeat it! So please stop tearing down Confederate statues and monuments, and learn some real history instead of the propaganda the winner put out to justify the criminal theft they committed!
MB SG 110169 body 13869 Engine 590935
GPW 108703 s/n all matching 3/31/43
Willy’s MBT 11539 11/42 16748w s/n 0213230
1947 CJ2A s/n 87325 engine MC62311 GPW head
:D

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”