Large Unknown Canvas Tarp/Cover/Tent… WWII?

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
AirMechanic
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant
Large Unknown Canvas Tarp/Cover/Tent… WWII?

Post by AirMechanic » Thu May 26, 2022 2:27 pm

I recently saw at an estate sale what looked like a large OD green canvas tarp among some other WWII/Korean War military items. I didn’t buy it but I am curious what it is. It was rather large, heavy, and folded several times, so I was unable to spread it out to get the dimensions or find any markings on it. I suspect if I had unfolded it completely that it would have been big enough to perhaps cover a car.

It was also folded rather neatly, so I believe it it did not have any intricate shapes or protrusions (likely was rectangular). It had many heavy duty grommets with the remnants of old jute rope in some of them. I noticed in the corners that there was distinctively two grommets next to each other about an inch or so apart, while the others were spaced uniformly much further out, perhaps 8-12”. I have a poor quality photo of the grommet spacing on the tarp in question, which also shows a raised hem above the grommets which may also help identify this item.

I initially was hoping it was a large tent but doubt it. I also thought it might be a cover for WWII 2 1/2 ton truck or something similar. Does anyone have more info on the dimensions, type of material, and grommet pattern for a WWII truck cover?

I suppose it also could just be a tarp. Did the military procure various sized tarps for covering cargo, equipment, etc. during WWII?
Attachments
385C2F07-12FD-4D73-8101-2919C570D48D.jpeg

frenchman
G-Major
G-Major
Re: Large Unknown Canvas Tarp/Cover/Tent… WWII?

Post by frenchman » Sun May 29, 2022 8:26 am

i need to buy me a crystal ball
????
frenchman

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Sun May 29, 2022 6:04 pm

Yes, they bought tarpaulins for everything that sat outside since before the Civil War.
Size depends on item needing covering.
No way to ID anything without measurements or unfolding things, many speculatiobs, but type of canvas and what it was coated with, color, help to narrow age and use.
Latrine walls to covering tanks, ground cloths to pup tents. Nylon/ Plastic stuff came in late Vietnam era.
V/R 'Swamy' Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Mon May 30, 2022 3:17 am

Considering the cost of a modern canvas tarp (I've spent hundreds on one for reenacting) almost any estate/yard sale price for that will be good. No matter the age or provenance as long as it's good canvas. Markings would be in one corner if it's military and they haven't worn off. I have a canvas tarp from the 80's that is army, believe it was from working on armor. I was happy to buy it for $80 at Aberdeen in the pouring rain several years ago.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Tue May 31, 2022 4:14 pm

Each tank has a tarp that covers the turret; not marked at all; that is what you saw. I once owned 54 of them (as in signed for them on property book) Should have bought it. I know it was for a tank; I can envision it in my head whilst reading the energy in your post.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Fri Jun 10, 2022 10:38 am

Buy it for $30 and take it to an outdoor military show and camping event to re-sell. If it rains the price goes up.
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”