K ration sugar cubes

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
BAR man
Sergeant Major of the Gee

K ration sugar cubes

Post by BAR man » Thu Mar 31, 2022 5:39 am

Looking for dimensions for the sugar cubes the are included in C and K rations. Working with a 3D printer company so as to reproduce the correct sized sugar tablets with a resin mold.
1942 GPW 74680
1942 Bantam 1/4 T 8612
1944 WC 51 81751827
1945 GEMCO 1/4 T

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Re: K ration sugar cubes

Post by Steve Webb » Thu Mar 31, 2022 12:19 pm

I have a historical study of ration development. Just a quick look but for the C rations is showed 3 pressed sugar tablets with coffee, and if it had synthetic lemon powder it had 6 pressed sugar tablets. I have not seen a total weight of these. For the K rations all 3 menus listed 3 pressed sugar tablets total of 1 ounce sugar. I will look a little closer when I have time but this might help a little for you.
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

Quartermaster

Post by Quartermaster » Wed Apr 06, 2022 8:30 am

Here’s the sugar used in the K ration in WW2.

In the OQMG Overseas Packaging & Packing Spec dated 5/1/1944 the following are listed. The Breakfast K ration called for 3 sugar tabs (cubes) each weighing 0.2, no sugar was listed for the Dinner K ration and in the Supper K ration either 6 tablets or a small cardboard box of granulated sugar weighing approximately 1 oz.

In the QMC Specification for Assembly & Packaging K Rations dated 10/31/1944 the following are listed. The Breakfast K ration called for 4 sugar tabs (cubes) each weighing 0.2, the Dinner K ration called for one compressed disk of sugar weighing 1.2 oz (this is the same disk that was included in some C rations with the diameter of the disk neatly fitting into the C ration Bread Can) and Supper K ration had one cardboard box of granulated sugar weighing 1 oz.

The dimensions of the sugar cube was 3/8” x 3/4” x 1 1/8”. The dimensions of the cardboard box was 1 ¼” x 9/16” x 2 5/8”.

It is obvious that the makeup of US rations was closely studied and components were constantly changed in sizes and replaced to suit nutritional needs and the tastes of the soldiers consuming these items.

The Historical Study mentioned was really just a snapshot in time as the specifications for US rations evolved throughout the war and thus the documentation was constantly being revised. I have collected a file cabinet drawer full of the various WW2 US ration specs covering the food items and how they were packaged and how they were packed for shipment.
Dwayne
1943 Willys MB
1945 Bantam T3

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Apr 06, 2022 12:45 pm

Yep the study was indeed an ongoing thing but amazing how much was involved in every little detail. The logistics of a war are just amazing to me and World War 2 could not be replicated today with what happened. I don't know who on the Gee I bought my copy from, maybe it was you?

Quartermaster

Post by Quartermaster » Wed Apr 06, 2022 1:49 pm

Nope, but George Petersen of the National Capital Historical Sales business located in Alexandria, VA cranked out some really neat reprints of all sorts of QM catalogs, Historical Studies and such for the WW2 period. Great stuff but the copied photos were rather poor and left a lot to be desired. This was several decades ago and, apparently, they stopped offering the reprints thus they became rather desirable for reference work.

I have found volumes of WW2 ration information, mostly US Government documentation but private information also, in the most odd and interesting places.
Dwayne
1943 Willys MB
1945 Bantam T3

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed Apr 06, 2022 3:41 pm

Bought it from Blitzdough Sept 2020. Yes you are correct those reprints he has are nice and a decent price.

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”