WW2 USMC Frogskiin Pattern Real or Repo

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
Bryan
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

WW2 USMC Frogskiin Pattern Real or Repo

Post by Bryan » Tue Jan 04, 2022 2:51 pm

Found a Set of USMC camo Pattern HBTs Reversable Herring bone material with snaps, no tag just a size stenciled where the tag should go, WW2 or Repo they are in nice shape! any experts? i can text a couple of pics
41 GP 14935
42 MB II6359 Slatgrill
51 CJ3A
43 Kubelwagen
53 M-170
Trailers, Bantam T-3,Converto,M-100
M-416, Ben Hur (Checker)USN MKII

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: WW2 USMC Frogskiin Pattern Real or Repo

Post by AZ Jeff » Wed Jan 05, 2022 5:48 am

What pattern Bryan? USMC P42 (the early set) or P44 (the late war set). There are many repros of the P42s, not so many of the P44.

Generally, I look for the following:

* No cloth contract tags on USMC camo (at least I haven't seen any)
* Thread should be natural (non-synthetic). Simple burn test: if it melts -- and doesn't immediately incinerate (cotton covered synthetic can be deceiving) -- it's a NO GO. There may be super high-end Asian copies made "to spec" that will be thread correct, but they are priced like originals...
* Steel snaps is a good sign. Blackened brass should have age. If P44, steel USMC donut buttons is a good sign.

The aged "Pacific" series-used camo P42s I saw were very convincing cosmetically but would not pass the thread test. The SM Wholesale aged "Pacific" set looked decent but 100% synthetic thread and snaps not properly tarnished. I have a neat WW2 Impressions Paramarine camo trouser that has worn beautifully... but still 100% synthetic thread.

Even the better camo copies I've seen always have something off: Camo pattern not quite right, or thread modern, or stitching wrong or HBT weave off.

If they are Army camo HBTs most of the same rules apply except they'll have plastic buttons.

Jeff Q.
AZ

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”