Rattle Can Flat OD Green for the frugal

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
signsup
banned

Rattle Can Flat OD Green for the frugal

Post by signsup » Tue Feb 05, 2019 1:05 pm

I was going to post this on the GPW technical board, but I've been crucified once already this week. So for those that want a cheap option for ultra flat OD green in a rattle can for ammo crates, gear, jerry cans, or the occasional WWII vehicle, Tractor Supply sells a line of paint by Majic out of Ohio, USA. Only three colors . . black . .brown. .and green. We sprayed some steel and it looks acceptable to us. $3.00 a can beats the $12 a can for the "real" stuff.

I'm waiting for it to dry and maybe a second coat and then I'll post a picture.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Rattle Can Flat OD Green for the frugal

Post by Rustman » Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:20 am

Oh really??? I frequent The Tractor Supply near me quite a bit. None of the other colors of "olive drab" or ''army green" I've found in spray cans for commercial consumption have been remotely close. But I'll take a look for that Majic brand. Sometimes one just needs affordable paint for items without it having to be computer matched to the inside of the tool box lid of a 1944 GPW built in the first week of August on a rainy day...

Thanks
Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

mdainsd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by mdainsd » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:06 am

Rustman wrote:
Wed Feb 06, 2019 2:20 am
... just needs affordable paint for items without it having to be computer matched to the inside of the tool box lid of a 1944 GPW built in the first week of August on a rainy day...

Thanks
Matt
The Jeep police can be harsh task-masters, LOL
52 M38 2X, '52 M37, '44 WC51, '42 WC 56/57, '50 CJ-V35(U), '42 GPW, '44 M3A1 Scout Car, 2010 M-Gator

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Feb 07, 2019 9:34 am

Not a spray can, but "Cliff" (ordnance Color like artillery would wear) or "Farm House" (little tinge of darker black in the green here)
From local TRUE VALUE hardware store
looks swell for everyday painting of things not Gillespie/TM-9/etc. level rating.
Oil base will be a semi-gloss, waterbase flat,
but if using waterbase make sure there is some paint over the metal or it will rust through the paint while drying.

Not Mil related, but I painted a red/yellow (almost headed to the Junker) Ranger pickup truck with Magik brand Tractor Supply paint last year, it's sat outside for a full year+ so far without fading, but it DID get two clearcoat topcoats. (maybe I'm too frugal)
V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

85jeepcj
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by 85jeepcj » Thu Feb 07, 2019 2:34 pm

I’ve used the OD spray paint from tractor supply, nice flat finish but color was a little off. I wouldn’t recommend it for someone’s Jeep.
Also sprayed a skid steer with magic paint though a spray gun and it still holding up well after 3 years. I don’t think its equal to premium grade auto paint but you’re save about $200 per gallon.

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Fri Feb 08, 2019 7:15 pm

Took 8 cans to do the weasel for an event coming up. Not restored, just wanted some lipstick and makeup on her for the big dance. Even though she is missing one show. $24 had the flat with and yellow in stock Not a bad shade, a little darker and not as yellow as absolute WWII shade 8
Attachments
OD 1.JPG
OD 1.JPG (29.69 KiB) Viewed 3457 times
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

ng19delta
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by ng19delta » Wed Mar 06, 2019 8:27 am

There was one years ago called "Duck Blind and Boat Paint", and it was perfect WWII OD... Used to get it at an Army-Navy store, but haven't seen any in a while.(Or been to a GOOD A-N store, either!)

Scott

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Wed Mar 06, 2019 11:31 am

Hello Scott,

I used to have some of that paint " Duck Blind and Boat" od paint I also got from an Army - Navy store.
It was a very, very, good olive drab paint that just disappeared.
The gallon can said : Saint Louis Paint Company on it in the rear area of the paper label.
I still have the can in the garage somewhere.
I don't think I have any empty spray cans.
There was no contact info on the can.

I wonder if it still made, but I can't find it.

It was I think the best shade yet, I have a GPW grill and headlight buckets done with it, as well as my WC-52 frame.

Then I ran out, and could not find it any more.
The army navy store is now long gone too.

Ray

daveww2
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by daveww2 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 6:47 am

You could always bring a OD piece (that's the color you want) into a paint store or hardware store and have them color match it. Then have them mix your the paint right there. I did that for some water-based paint I needed that I was going to use to paint some canvas and some wood box painting. Worked out pretty well and the paint wasn't expensive. But for vehicle and metal paint jobs I just use the stuff available form the vehicle parts suppliers, yes it can be spendy, but I usually get it by the case and share the expense with someone or a few someone's just needing a can or two ...

David :twisted:

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”