The Battle of the Bulge reenactment . Indiantown Gap, suspended indefinitely.

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: The Battle of the Bulge reenactment . Indiantown Gap, suspended indefinitely.

Post by Buggy Man » Tue Jul 17, 2018 3:23 pm

Although I haven't been to FIG in over 15 years this is very sad news indeed. I know that in the past the attitude of base commanders at FIG towards the reenactors using their base to play WWII on has run from Hot (or luke warm) to Cold.......

I wasn't at the event that Lee described that was apparently attended by members of the third Reich inner circle, but I do remember a WSS unit that had a torch light parade down Howitzer avenue(?) Saturday night.

There are many examples of bad taste put on public display at events like FIG where people partaking in those shenanagans are either oblivious or unaware (or just don't care) that members of the public & Military are watching (& judging the whole hobby by what they see)...

In 1987 I attended (my first event) a BotB reenactment at Ft.Dix,NJ. My memory's a little fuzzy but I think the Ft.Dix events were put on by another WWII reenactment organization, different from the FIG group. The two WWII historical sociaties either merged or maybe one fell by the way side-I can't remember.

Matt

Falldownjaeger
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: The Battle of the Bulge reenactment . Indiantown Gap, suspended indefinitely.

Post by Falldownjaeger » Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:41 pm

That's a shame, FTIG turned into like the annual reenactor convention. One stupid mistake screwed it up for everybody.

I remember Ft Dix Battle of the Bulge, I started in the hobby in 1986 with 6th SS Gebirgs. It was an active duty Major in the NJARNG who was commander of the 45th Inf Div Historical Reenactment Society, who got Ft Dix opened up for events. I can't remember his name offhand (Major Art Smith?). That was a good event, too, except for the 7th Kompanie, Grossdeutschland who got left out in the maneuver box, had to walk back to the barracks.
1995 M1025A2 Orig 5SFG GMV ODA525 "Hammerhead"
1995 M1025A2 Orig 1st SFC GMV 5 Commanders In Extremis Force GMV
1984 Chenowth Interim Fast Attack Vehicle 061 'Horny Toad"

Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Buggy Man » Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 pm

Falldownjaeger wrote:
Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:41 pm
That's a shame, FTIG turned into like the annual reenactor convention. One stupid mistake screwed it up for everybody.

I remember Ft Dix Battle of the Bulge, I started in the hobby in 1986 with 6th SS Gebirgs. It was an active duty Major in the NJARNG who was commander of the 45th Inf Div Historical Reenactment Society, who got Ft Dix opened up for events. I can't remember his name offhand (Major Art Smith?). That was a good event, too, except for the 7th Kompanie, Grossdeutschland who got left out in the maneuver box, had to walk back to the barracks.
I remember hearing about that! (thought that happened at FIG, though). Knew some of the guys in the 7th.

Wonder if Ft.Pickett or Ft.Lee would be interested in hosting such activities?

Matt

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Thu Jul 19, 2018 7:04 am

Buggy Man wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 pm
Falldownjaeger wrote:
7th Kompanie, Grossdeutschland who got left out in the maneuver box, had to walk back to the barracks.
(thought that happened at FIG, though).
It did. I don't remember what unit it was (or how many of them were affected), but either in 94 or 05, there was a group of GIs who got left in the field and had to walk back. I remember hearing a couple of them talking/complaining about it at later that night.
Owner, 1944 Willys MB #366014
Former US Army Captain and REMF :mrgreen:

ng19delta
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by ng19delta » Thu Jul 19, 2018 4:59 pm

Falldownjaeger wrote:

It WAS Art Smith, and his group was 44th ID- they are still around, but I am not sure about Smith... I was at most of the Ft Dix events- interesting that he got permission for NFA weapons there- even in the 80s it was a bit.. sorry- "problem"... I do believe he eventually ran into some personal problems, but don't remember any of the details. But the events were fun- I have some great photos of things back then...

Scott

ng19delta
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by ng19delta » Thu Jul 19, 2018 5:01 pm

Buggy Man wrote:
Wed Jul 18, 2018 3:01 pm
Falldownjaeger wrote:

I remember hearing about that! (thought that happened at FIG, though). Knew some of the guys in the 7th.

Wonder if Ft.Pickett or Ft.Lee would be interested in hosting such activities?

Matt
Pickett has done many WWII events- They have a modern MOUT site which can be fun. We had ARNG M-60s there last time I was there- but that has been about 20 years... (Ft Campbell MOUT site was my favorite- did a couple HRS Nationals there- but looks from satellite views to have been converted from generic German Town to a camel pit town.)

Scott

Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Buggy Man » Thu Jul 19, 2018 10:16 pm

Used to hold some events at Ft. Story as well.

Matt

m14msgt
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by m14msgt » Sat Jul 21, 2018 6:03 am

Sadly...This is the future of reenacting. The left is “rewriting” history and this is just another strategy in that crusade. Considering the ridiculous Confederate monument issue, it’s a wonder CW events are still allowed in this country. This is what happens when the liberal majority is left unchecked. A little here...a little there and before you know it, the average millennial has no idea who even fought in WWII or what the CW was even about. Sorry for the rant...but this infuriates me.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Buggy Man
G-Major General
G-Major General

Post by Buggy Man » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:03 am

Was thinking about something related to this thread: Wonder if the loss of the FIG reenactment has had an (economic) effect on companies like At the Front/ SM Wholesale or WWII Impressions? Businesses that cater to reenactors....

Matt

m14msgt
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by m14msgt » Fri Sep 28, 2018 4:33 am

I would imagine that it has. Out here on the Left Coast, events have slowed down considerably.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”