U.S. Barbed Wire Install

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
DesertRick
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major
U.S. Barbed Wire Install

Post by DesertRick » Tue May 30, 2023 10:47 am

Is there a WWII eraTM or other manual that shows how to install defensive barbed wire fence? I'm setting up a display at our museum and while I did visit a training range in the DTC that had some installed, I didn't take measurements at the time. The drawing is from a British book on defenses and the DTC setup seems to be the same as the drawing. I'm sure there had to be different layouts for different situations.

Thanks!

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Re: U.S. Barbed Wire Install

Post by Steve Webb » Wed May 31, 2023 2:16 am

I just recently bought an Engineer Field Manual FM 5-15 Field Fortifications and it has barb wire layouts for many applications. Dated 1940 and supplement 1941 There is a section on obstacles and then throughout applications of it depending on time and conditions
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

DesertRick
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by DesertRick » Wed May 31, 2023 5:10 am

That’s perfect, thanks. I was able to find a couple of different years of PDFs online. I’ll just print the section I need. The pic of the install I took looks to be a double apron. Think we’ll go with that.

Rick

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Wed May 31, 2023 12:10 pm

Watch out for Sappers :wink:
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross Psalm 55; 9-11

Ron D
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Ron D » Wed May 31, 2023 4:23 pm

Needs some tangle-foot in front of it.
Ron D
1951 M38
1951 M100

Mike McCrea
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Mike McCrea » Wed May 31, 2023 10:17 pm

Sounds like a great project. What Museum are you working with? Would love to come see it.
43 GPW
45 GPW
If you wanna sound intelligent just talk louder

DesertRick
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by DesertRick » Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:50 pm

I'm a volunteer at the MDHCA (mdhca.org) in Goffs, CA. The town is in WWII Desert Training Center territory. Nearby are divisional camps Ibis and Clipper. Goffs was a RR siding and warehouse area during that time for unloading troops and supplies for the camps. There were several small camps around the town. What I'm working on is just re-arranging their small outdoor WWII items. Someone took what the museum had and just laid the items on the ground. There's no info on what is there. Supposedly the person working on this was going to work on it more, but it never happened. There's a mixture of stuff there. Some from the 1964 Exercise Desert Strike, since it took place in basically the same area as the DTC.

Link to video of items currently on outdoor display-
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pXMtZBRGATs

My plan is to get the items off the ground and separate them by the two eras. Each item or group will have a marker for it, such as M1, M2, etc. There'll be a QR code people can get and refer to a more detailed explanation of what each item is (M1 is a .....).

We'd love to have you visit. There's a lot of mining items too. They have the only 2 and 10 stamp working mills in the U.S. https://mdhca.org/cultural-center/proje ... stamp-mill
Only an hour from Laughlin, NV. Mitchell Caverns is close by also. It's a small version of Carlsbad caverns.

Mike McCrea
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Mike McCrea » Thu Jun 01, 2023 6:38 pm

Wow..what a cool little museum, WWII and mining stuff, it does not get much better than that for me. Right now Im going thru a mining kick with my G scale RR. Just got finished kit bashing a couple mines. Too bad all that cool rusty stuff is on the ground and in the open. I think I may have a few pics of barbed wire stuff, will look for it.
Some pics of the 1/20 mines ive been playin with.
dmine10.jpg
dmine8.jpg
dmine5.jpg
43 GPW
45 GPW
If you wanna sound intelligent just talk louder

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”