Canteen--How to clean?

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Re: Canteen--How to clean?

Post by Ben Dover » Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:40 am

Camp Forrest was in Tullahoma Tennesee. It was expanded in WWII and torn down afterWWII. At one time it was one of or the largest Army base in the USA. It was home of the 2Nd Army Ranger School. Uncle Joe kept volunteering for training to prolong going into combat, and was selected to be part of the instructor cadre at the beginning of the new Ranger School. After the first class was run thru, the Instructors became students. He was a POW until liberated by the British. He reminded me on New Years Day 1966 that 21 years prior he was on detail in a huge warehouse giving dead German Soldiers two arms,two legs, and a head in order to bury them whole. Food was in short supply, they ate boiled potato peelings. He told of scaling a fence at the compound , and using a dirty tin can to get himself milk from a few cows used by the prison. There were prisoners from several nations including Turks. I have a ring given to him by a Turkish soldier who was also a prisoner. It was made from a brass cartridge and hand etched. I never asked him for any war stories, and he told few except at our business when a customer would mention experiences similar to his.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

BillyClanton
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by BillyClanton » Mon Mar 28, 2011 3:24 pm

I have some friends that live in Tullahoma. Wonder if theres anything left of the base?
Billy
Sold everything due to depression and sickness. Plus a lack of help(they all dying)
MVPA member #31386 (former MVCC member)

Steve Webb
G-General
G-General

Post by Steve Webb » Mon Mar 28, 2011 4:33 pm

I don't believe so Billy. We have friends there also and haven't been in a while but don't remember any mention of it. could be wrong though. Hey Joel are you sure you don't have a sack of NOS pebbles tucked away anywhere? :)
Stand for the Flag, Kneel for the Cross

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Post by Ben Dover » Mon Mar 28, 2011 6:37 pm

From what Bud Werner has told me, just slabs, streets, building support posts, and fire hydrants. Bud is quite knowledgeable about the base, it is handy to his home and a lot of timber from the Werner timberlands went into the WWII construction. No, I do not have any GI issue pebbles. There was an Army Airfield there, and all that is left is the Arnold Research Station, USAF. I have one 37 MM expended cartridge my uncle Joe brought back during his final leave before shipping off to England, it was fired from a P-39 during an airpower demonstration including a cannon equipped B-25. The Ranger students had realistic night l training which included following the smell of mash from stills along dry stream beds until they encounted the moonshiners, it could be dangerous as they were usually armed.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

BillyClanton
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by BillyClanton » Mon Mar 28, 2011 8:59 pm

Back in 1969, I "requisitioned" a jeep while at Camp Shelby, Ms. and went roaming through the old base there. It was sorta spooky but interesting. Lotsa roads, slabs, etc. When we were in the field, I started digging a slit trench and hit a manhole cover. Instant sewer!
I have a pennant from the Tennessee war games & I think it is from Tulahoma. Gonna hafta dig it out & check.
Billy
Sold everything due to depression and sickness. Plus a lack of help(they all dying)

BillyClanton
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by BillyClanton » Tue Mar 29, 2011 1:08 am

I don't need 'em. I know how to clean a canteen.
Billy

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Post by Ben Dover » Tue Mar 29, 2011 5:30 am

I sent some photos of the weapons used by the moonshiners around the Camp Forrest to Russ Jones to display in his museum. Bud Werner is always interested in anything to do with the old base.

podski
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by podski » Thu Apr 07, 2011 1:15 pm

Chuck Lutz wrote:Find a buddy who does some serious relaoding with a BIG container for his vibrating brass cleaning set up and put the canteen in it with whatever media he uses. When it passes inspection, put the cup in for the same amount of time. When done, use soap and water to get out any grit or crud. Hope you like your aluminum POLISHED!
Hmmm, that's a good idea. Gonna hafta try that! I'll bet that produces a canteen you can see your reflection in for shaving :shock: :shock:

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

NEW YEARS DAY MEMORY, 1 JANUARY 1945

Post by Ben Dover » Tue Jan 01, 2019 4:17 pm

Ben Dover wrote:
Mon Mar 28, 2011 5:40 am

Camp Forrest was in Tullahoma Tennesee. It was expanded in WWII and torn down afterWWII. At one time it was one of or the largest Army base in the USA. It was home of the 2Nd Army Ranger School. Uncle Joe kept volunteering for training to prolong going into combat, and was selected to be part of the instructor cadre at the beginning of the new Ranger School. After the first class was run thru, the Instructors became students. He was a POW until liberated by the British. He reminded me on New Years Day 1966 that 21 years prior he was on detail in a huge warehouse giving dead German Soldiers two arms,two legs, and a head in order to bury them whole. Food was in short supply, they ate boiled potato peelings. He told of scaling a fence at the compound , and using a dirty tin can to get himself milk from a few cows used by the prison. There were prisoners from several nations including Turks. I have a ring given to him by a Turkish soldier who was also a prisoner. It was made from a brass cartridge and hand etched. I never asked him for any war stories, and he told few except at our business when a customer would mention experiences similar to his.
A little New Years Day memory from New Years Day, 1 January, 1945.

rondo
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by rondo » Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:02 am

I've been told by a couple of medical professionals not to drink from my WW1 canteen, clean or not. The material that its made out of is suspect. I cleaned it with bleach and hot water.
42 GPW; 41WC6
"moral courage is the most valuable and usually the most absent characteristic in men"

tfscobie
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by tfscobie » Thu Jan 31, 2019 1:12 pm

T.F. Scobie
B/1/117/30

Klaas
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Klaas » Fri Feb 01, 2019 3:40 am

rondo wrote:
Mon Jan 07, 2019 7:02 am
I've been told by a couple of medical professionals not to drink from my WW1 canteen, clean or not. The material that its made out of is suspect. I cleaned it with bleach and hot water.
You've gotta die of something :lol:
Klaas
GPW17331 - DOD april 21 1942 - Dallas
BSA Airborne Bicycle R45105
BSA Airborne Bicycle R49171

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Post by Ben Dover » Fri Feb 01, 2019 5:57 am

WWII dated Canteens were issued to troops at least thru the 60's, still a lot of veterans out there who drank from them, I attended a water purification class that treated water fron a dirty stream in the town of Antwerp just outside of Ft. Drum. My canteen was WWII dated stainless. Am still here.

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Post by Ben Dover » Tue May 14, 2019 2:03 pm

Always interested in WWII Camp Forrest Ranger items.

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”