Exploding rifles, 2013. Bad blanks

Question and opinion regarding Living History / Reenacting.
nirvana
G-Major
G-Major

Exploding rifles, 2013. Bad blanks

Post by nirvana » Tue May 12, 2015 1:08 pm

http://www.cleveland.com/court-justice/ ... _duri.html

https://s3.amazonaws.com/s3.documentclo ... awsuit.pdf

This happened in 2013, but the law suit was filed recently. It looks like an honor guard accidentally filed grenade launching blanks, rather than standard drill ones, and the blank adapter caused the rifles to explode. I guess it shows that you need to stay alert, no matter what.
1942 GPW 70219 - Navy Contract - USN 39252
1943 GPW 103565

Don Shaffer
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: Exploding rifles, 2013. Bad blanks

Post by Don Shaffer » Fri May 29, 2015 12:25 pm

I know of 2 people who have blown up M1As with Blue French plastic rounds. They both bought them at NE Ohio Gun Shows and were told that they were Blanks. But they were French Short range target practice rounds. Look them up, They have a Muzzle velocity of 4700 FPS and a range of almost 400 Meter's they look like plastic blanks but you can see a seam where the bullet tip sits in the plastic case. Dan's Sporting goods Comp. in PA has them for $180.00 per 1000 Make sure of what you are shooting ! Don S. NE Ohio

daveww2
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by daveww2 » Sat Mar 09, 2019 10:02 am

:roll: Wow, Just wow. People need to be smarter with blanks. I would never use any blank bought at a gun show or anywhere, unless I knew exactly what I was buying. Veteran groups should be able to get decent salute blanks thru the Army - I would think? There are enough blank vendors out there now ... why take a chance? If you are uncertain as to the type of blank you have ... ask someone who knows and even still ... Test fire, test fire, test fire ... always start with a unrestricted (no BFA installed) weapon before proceeding on to a BFA's one. Make sure to always use a ADJUSTABLE BFA, not a fixed one - that way you can start with the largest BFA Orifice. Go to a range and test fire it into a paper target, sheet or piece of plastic sheeting (at close range) to determine if there are projectiles, burned or unburned powder or other junk leaving the barrel.

David :twisted:

Lee Bishop
G503 War Correspondent
G503 War Correspondent

Post by Lee Bishop » Mon Mar 11, 2019 2:31 pm

A pal of mine (who later was the editor of WW2 Magazine for a while) was at a event with me at Benning in the 90s and he grabbed someone's blanks loaded into en block clips. Turned out they were made for BARs and were very powerful. He pulled the trigger and WHAM, the trigger group rocketed downward from the stock (with the floor plate bowed downward) and the blank adapter left the barrel, snapped at the first step along where it'd be turned on the lathe, only the screw ring was still there. He didn't destroy the rifle but he really damaged some expensive parts of it.
It wasn't anywhere as bad as the M-16A2 one of my soldiers blew up years later when a cleaning rod head got lodged into it on a range (not the firer's fault and I think it killed the NCO's career who did it), but it was a mess when he picked up the pieces of the M1
1944 Willys MB #366014
MVPA, REMF, former US Army Captain

Return to “Living History / Reenacting Knowledge Base”