M52 Fuze Slider for US 60mm Mortar Rounds

Demilitarized vehicle weapons and static display accessories
dantheman
Sergeant Major of the Gee

M52 Fuze Slider for US 60mm Mortar Rounds

Post by dantheman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:02 am

Looking to gauge interest in a project I am looking into undertaking. This is NOT a sales post, simply looking for opinions.

I need several "sliders" for inert M52 fuzes I have for my mortar display. All the other components and springs are present, but this piece always seems to be missing and hard to find. This is what I am referring to:

I got a quote for having 25 of these CNC machined from brass. If I could sell 20 or so of them for $25 ea, shipped, I could break even. Not looking to make a profit. Am I wasting my time or does anyone think something like this would sell?

-Dan

1945 GPW 267188 (numbers matching)

AZ Jeff
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: M52 Fuze Slider for US 60mm Mortar Rounds

Post by AZ Jeff » Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 am

Dan,

Personally, I think there'd be greater interest in the parts that are typically missing which are seen from the exterior -- striker cap, safety wire, safety pin, slider screw, booster casing. Half or more of the fuzes I've encountered over the years are missing those visible parts.

Jeff Q.
AZ

dantheman

Post by dantheman » Tue Oct 09, 2018 12:03 pm

AZ Jeff wrote:
Tue Oct 09, 2018 11:58 am
Dan,

Personally, I think there'd be greater interest in the parts that are typically missing which are seen from the exterior -- striker cap, safety wire, safety pin, slider screw, booster casing. Half or more of the fuzes I've encountered over the years are missing those visible parts.

Jeff Q.
AZ
I agree Jeff, I'm looking at a reliable way to make the safety wire quickly and easily. May look into the slider cap screw and safety pin as well. All depends upon how the sliders turn out quality-wise.
-Dan

dantheman

Post by dantheman » Wed Oct 10, 2018 9:45 am

While on the subject, does anyone have any pictures of the "slider lock" shown here?

All 7 of the M52 fuze assemblies I have, dating from 1940 through the 1970s, are different from these diagrams. The slider lock is not spring loaded. It is simply a threaded pin like shown here. I don't see how this could possibly lock the slider into the armed position? It looks like it only serves as a guide for the slider.

Does anyone have a picture of the slider lock, slider lock spring, and slider lock screw as shown in the diagram?
-Dan

Ccyooper
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Ccyooper » Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:09 am

I know this is an old post but did poster ever make the slider parts. I’m looking for a slider screw plug. Regards

dantheman

Post by dantheman » Sun Aug 15, 2021 9:35 am

I have not, yet. This got pushed to the back burner unfortunately. I plan to get back on this and draw up the remaining parts. If I can find someone to produce them at a reasonable rate I’ll offer some for sale. Just haven’t had the time to get it done yet.
Ccyooper wrote:
Sun Aug 15, 2021 7:09 am
I know this is an old post but did poster ever make the slider parts. I’m looking for a slider screw plug. Regards
-Dan

SteveM8
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by SteveM8 » Tue Aug 17, 2021 5:47 am

The safety wire is not too difficult to make. I have make a dozen thus far - made of piano wire. You need to make a mandrel of the correct size to wrap the wire around. You will also have to anneal the end to bend it without cracking.

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Tue Aug 17, 2021 6:23 am

20ea at $25 = $400
A decent 3D printer cost me around $300 the year before last, software was free, rolls of PLS about $20.
If it's not going to ever go "bang" why not print it using some bronze colored PLA material.
Just a suggestion.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

ScottCo
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by ScottCo » Fri Sep 10, 2021 9:17 pm

I need a striker cap with striker and keeper if anyone has a source, please PM me.

Also, my fuze is a mixture of brass and bakelite. Can't seem to find any references in the TM's to brass as part of the M52 fuze. Do I have something rare?

The stampings on the fuze are: PDR M52 A1B1 LOT WC-43-7 2-45

Guessing this is a Feb 45 production?

I also have a strange hole near the safety pin. Anyone know what this is for? Perhaps a previous owners attempt to render the fuze inert?

IMG_2969.jpeg

dantheman

Post by dantheman » Sat Sep 11, 2021 4:04 am

ScottCo wrote:I need a striker cap with striker and keeper if anyone has a source, please PM me.

Also, my fuze is a mixture of brass and bakelite. Can't seem to find any references in the TM's to brass as part of the M52 fuze. Do I have something rare?

The stampings on the fuze are: PDR M52 A1B1 LOT WC-43-7 2-45

Guessing this is a Feb 45 production?

I also have a strange hole near the safety pin. Anyone know what this is for? Perhaps a previous owners attempt to render the fuze inert?

IMG_2969.jpeg
Scott, don’t have any spares but I’ll keep an eye out. I do plan to make parts one of these days but I don’t know exactly when I will get to it. Your M52A1B1 is indeed Feb 45 dated. The hole you refer to is there on all fuzes, it’s for the the pin on the fuze spanner wrench to fit into for installing/removing the fuze in the shell body.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
-Dan

Ccyooper
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Ccyooper » Thu Nov 18, 2021 6:45 am

Dan, sorry for the late response, thank you for the reply. Regards PS I’m still interested in parts.

Return to “Weapons”