M23 equilibriator mount

Demilitarized vehicle weapons and static display accessories
svt40
G-Major
G-Major

M23 equilibriator mount

Post by svt40 » Fri Jan 27, 2012 4:34 pm

Does anyone know what is the neutral position for the M23 mount with no weapon or pins installed?

I bought one of those Sarco stuck M23 mounts and am almost done rebuilding it. After putting the spring housing back on and going to the second hole from the top my mount is sitting at 45º. I can push it down but it is spring loaded into an up poistion and am unsure if this is correct.

I have not had a chance to mount up the dummy M2 yet as the mount is at work. But I'd like to make sure I get the spring set properly pror to taking it home and mounting up the M2.
Randy K.
*GPW 65604*
9-17-42

nickd
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Re: M23 equilibriator mount

Post by nickd » Fri Jan 27, 2012 5:38 pm

the weight of the gun compensates for the spring
1986 M998 & M1102 trailer
2 M275A5 1 with 4ws

1 M274 w/106 recoilless rifle and all accessories FOR SALE with spare rear transaxle and transmission

1 M274 W/TOW removed from the inventory
1 m274 w4ws
M102 105 mm Howitzer
75mm pack Howitzer
John Deere military gator
1986 Humvee with 6.5 non turbo slant back, armored turret and gunners shield

svt40
G-Major
G-Major

Post by svt40 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:23 pm

Here are some shots of the disassembly for any of those who have one or may want to get one. These are after it was already taken apart, repaired and reassembled. Just taking it back apart for some sandblasting action. I bought it from Sarco from their "it's stuck" list for $125. It's an Israeli copy of the M23 with a searchlight arm (not pictured).

I started by soaking this thing 2-3 times daily with penetrating oil for about 3 months. Even after all that it was still absolutely locked in place. So using some 6 foot prybars, creative use of a table and a forklift we got it to start moving.

The first thing to do is remove the pivot pin retaining bolts. Mine were rusted in place very solidly and took a lot of heat and some progressively larger hammers. And as such I ruined one bolt. So I gathered some others and went to work on fabbing up some replacements.

Next comes the spring housing. Mine came off rather easily with liberal use of a large hammer. If your's moves then you will need the help of someone else with a big wrench to hold the spring housing.

After the housing was removed and I ended up using a LARGE pipe wrnech and a torch to free up the pivot pin from the cradle that it was rusted to.
Randy K.
*GPW 65604*
9-17-42

svt40
G-Major
G-Major

Post by svt40 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:27 pm

Here is the spring housing with the spring removed. I did not need to remove the bolt that holds the tail end of the spring. YMMV.

After the long pivot pins was removed using the aforementioned pipe wrench I had to press out the other pivot pin. So using a puller with the arms removed you get what you see here to press the pin out. Now when you do this make sure to use a strong clamp to hold you cradle and pintle together so they do not spread apart as you press out the firmly rusted in place pin.

And now you can see the pins coming out slowly but surely. It still needed a lot of heat and a few whacks from a large hammer to jar things loose the first time. Now it comes out easily.
Randy K.
*GPW 65604*
9-17-42

svt40
G-Major
G-Major

Post by svt40 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:31 pm

After the pins are removed you will have what you see here. The short pin only goes in one way while the longer pin can be turned to one of three flats to help tune the equilibriator if the 4 bolt slots on the cradle are not enough for the weapon to balance.

Now it's just simply a matter of separating the cradle from the fork. Here is the cradle.

And the fork.
Last edited by svt40 on Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Randy K.
*GPW 65604*
9-17-42

svt40
G-Major
G-Major

Post by svt40 » Thu Feb 02, 2012 9:37 pm

Now going back to the beginning a touch. Making the new pivot pin bolts I found it much easier to just use a long bolt and grind out the taper before you cut it down. When you do grind out the taper it is a short taper so test it many times as you grind it. You can see the first try at the taper. Much too long of a taper and did not work at all. You can see on the original bolt the taper comes to a sharp point rather than the half circle my first try did.

Once you get the taper correct you can cut down the bolts and put a nice chamfer on the heads. It should look something like these.

Lastly here it is with the dummy gun mounted up ready to scare my co-workers.
Randy K.
*GPW 65604*
9-17-42

TiredIron
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by TiredIron » Fri Feb 03, 2012 8:04 am

Excellent pictorial....Thank You Sir.

TiredIron
"There is NO such thing as Overkill"

mbatvburg
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by mbatvburg » Fri Feb 03, 2012 10:52 am

good write up. I was looking for this about a year ago when i rebuilt mine. The israeli copy looks to be welded together versus cast liek the usgi mount
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

Ralph
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Ralph » Sat Feb 04, 2012 8:45 pm

Nice job.Some hard work....you end up with a fine cradle.Thanks for the good pics.
Ralph

vtdeucedriver
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by vtdeucedriver » Sun Feb 05, 2012 4:49 pm

Thanks for the information on the mount. Who made the gun?
A G744 guy in a G503 world.

svt40
G-Major
G-Major

Post by svt40 » Sun Feb 05, 2012 8:55 pm

vtdeucedriver wrote:Thanks for the information on the mount. Who made the gun?

The M2 was made by Hoosier Hot-Shot. It easily passes the 1 foot rule but it has a few things I wish were done to it. Such as the pins for the pawl brackets including the cartridge stops. Markings on the RHSP is the other thing I'd like to see done. But a great looking M2 dummy that does not use a single real part. Well one real part, a WWII barrel handle that I added to it.
Randy K.
*GPW 65604*
9-17-42

vtdeucedriver
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by vtdeucedriver » Mon Feb 06, 2012 8:11 pm

svt40 wrote:

The M2 was made by Hoosier Hot-Shot. It easily passes the 1 foot rule but it has a few things I wish were done to it. Such as the pins for the pawl brackets including the cartridge stops. Markings on the RHSP is the other thing I'd like to see done. But a great looking M2 dummy that does not use a single real part. Well one real part, a WWII barrel handle that I added to it.

AMAZING looking M2....................steel, aluminum ?????????
A G744 guy in a G503 world.

svt40
G-Major
G-Major

Post by svt40 » Mon Feb 06, 2012 9:44 pm

vtdeucedriver wrote:
svt40 wrote:

AMAZING looking M2....................steel, aluminum ?????????
It's all steel and is set up as either a dummy such as this one with a bolt that latches and then releases when you depress the butterfly or as a gas firing model. It does weigh a hefty 80ish pounds so it is not a lightweight. The barrel unscrews to make transport much much easier.

From the looks of it they took real M2 parts, made molds and then had them cast for use in the dummy. Small details that someone who has fiddled with a real M2 would notice are lacking but for 99% of the people will have to ask if it's real or not. I still want to get a semi-auto M2 but at $7k it's just not in the cards atm.
Randy K.
*GPW 65604*
9-17-42

Docsjeep

Post by Docsjeep » Sun Apr 01, 2012 7:53 am

I just wanted to give Randy K a huge thank you for taking the time to post his pictures and write-up. I bought one of the Sarco mounts and only started doing my homework after it arrived. I lucked out and found this 2 month old thread on Google. This was a huge help!

Thanks again, Dave
8-8-45 MB #458506
original hood#20769558 S

1962 CJ-3B

svt40
G-Major
G-Major

Post by svt40 » Sun Apr 01, 2012 9:34 am

Docsjeep wrote:I just wanted to give Randy K a huge thank you for taking the time to post his pictures and write-up. I bought one of the Sarco mounts and only started doing my homework after it arrived. I lucked out and found this 2 month old thread on Google. This was a huge help!

Thanks again, Dave

Glad to be of help. That's what so great about the G.
Randy K.
*GPW 65604*
9-17-42

Return to “Weapons”