Ohio Ordnance bar

Vehicle weapons and static display accessories
libbster29
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Ohio Ordnance bar

Post by libbster29 » Tue Jun 11, 2019 5:39 pm

Anybody know when they stopped using usgi parts in there builds? Would a earlier one in serial number 500 range be better than the ones they currently sell?

Cal.Bar
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Re: Ohio Ordnance bar

Post by Cal.Bar » Tue Jun 11, 2019 8:44 pm

The only issue I ever had with mine was that you CANNOT use Lake City Garand 30.06 (too light). You must use full power Greek HXP or modern rounds. once you do that they run perfect. At least mine does. I purchased mine 8 years ago or so.

wreckless
Gee Addict

Post by wreckless » Wed Jun 12, 2019 3:17 pm

They did that when the supply of surplus parts eventually dried up just like Springfield Armory with M1A’s and DSA with FAL’s when all the surplus parts were used up. I would think you’d want the lowest serial numbered rifle that you can buy to guarantee it’s all USGI except for the receiver and proprietary fire control parts.
Rob

Jersey Wrecking Crew
1943 Ford GPW G503

“In times of universal deceit, telling the truth is a revolutionary act”.

captain caos
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by captain caos » Fri Jun 14, 2019 3:20 pm

They actually had plenty of USGI parts on hand because Bob bought every one he could find the problem was the amount of hand work and fitting that went into all those USGI parts did not lend itself well to doing a production run so that is when they started making parts. It is far more efficient to be able to pull a part off the shelf and put it into a gun with no hand work when you are paying a bunch of guys for their time and the quality and fit is far better today with CNC than it was back in the day.
remember, where ever you go,there you are!

mtflorio
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by mtflorio » Fri Jun 14, 2019 11:51 pm

Libbster if you want a semi BAR better buy what you can get. Ohio Ordnance is out of them and has started a waiting list. Meanwhile they are going for around $4500.00 on the secondary market if you can find one. Are you in Maryland? If so you have a state ban on magazines over 10 rounds. I finally knuckled under and am building a semi Browning M1919A4.
1942 Willys MB Slat Grill
1943 Willys MBT
1943 Huffman G519 Bicycle

Assaultdriver
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Assaultdriver » Tue Jul 02, 2019 11:44 am

Although I cannot answer the question at hand, one data point: I purchased mine in 2001 direct from OOW, at a fairly reasonable price (ha!) Last year (2018) the Firing Pin broke and I had to purchase another one. OOW changed the design of the Firing Pin since then and the current one offered at $89.24 on their website DOES NOT FIT their older 1918A3's. I returned it and they had to search for the "old style" Firing Pin. Got one.

The "old style" OOW Firing Pin is similar to the USGI version but without the large end while the new one has a slot and a flange and all sorts of other modifications including the need for a retaining pin.

Dawgman

Post by Dawgman » Sat Jul 06, 2019 8:44 pm

I bought mine in 2003, has mostly GI parts including the 3-45 barrel. It was a comfortable feeling having it, the quality is excellent, but for the weight and hefty size I wish it was a full auto. It’s the best compromise for a BAR without putting out 45k and if you are quick on the trigger it can approximate the full auto slow cycle. Just remember not to touch the barrel after putting a few down range.
By the way, I was on a waiting list in 2003 and had to wait 9 months for mine, serial number in the mid 2000 range.
12-12-41 slat MB
No’s match 4-42 script GPW
No’s match 10-44 GPW
Dead MB plow
45 MB 8-21-45 restored
MVPA 7xxx

jonsm114
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by jonsm114 » Fri Jul 12, 2019 9:03 am

Sold one to a guy here in St louis some years ago. When OOW shipped, Bob Landies called me and told me it was the last BAR to leave their shop with GI parts. Bob thought it was a big deal so he called. I asked Bob if he would enclose a letter detailing the weapon's status and he did. The customer got a kick out of it. That was well over 10 years ago.

Jon
M3 37mm Cannon Parts and Resin Weapon Replicas. We also manufacture reproduction Stuart parts.
Fuel tanks, Rear Exhaust and Air Deflectors, and other components.
314-703-9710

Return to “Weapons”