No safety chains on Converto airborn dump trailer?

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
Kaiser Krazy
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

No safety chains on Converto airborn dump trailer?

Post by Kaiser Krazy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 6:52 am

I've got the manual, but it also does not show tail lights, tail light guards or any electrical, so the absence of any safety chain pics in the manual does not mean they were not there.
Just surprised that a trailer carrying significant weight would not have safety chains on it.

Yes? No? Maybe? Early? Late?

I'll hang up and listen.

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: No safety chains on Converto airborn dump trailer?

Post by Rustman » Wed Oct 26, 2022 8:52 am

Just surmising here. As the Converto is more of a CONSTRUCTION piece of equipment rather than a cargo trailer was it (at least at the time the manual was done) not equipped with anything for over the road use?

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Kaiser Krazy
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Kaiser Krazy » Wed Oct 26, 2022 2:34 pm

That makes sense, if it were exclusively used off road. But, at some point in time, they installed tail lights, light guards and an embilical cord to connect to a jeep. So, why not add some safety chains at that time. The long castle nut and bolt for the landing leg swivel is the usual attachment point for these chains, so just replace one bolt with a longer one and add a set of MBT or Ben Hur chains.

Just an interesting omission. I'm sure they had their reasons. Like, saving $1.98 for a set of chains.

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Thu Oct 27, 2022 2:13 am

All good points. I think the angle of the wedges differs on the Ben Hur vs the Jeep trailer for the safety chains. I would have to measure the geometry of the drawbars on the two trailer types to know for sure.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Kaiser Krazy
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Kaiser Krazy » Thu Oct 27, 2022 4:34 am

I'm not saying I'm going to install chains on my Converto, I want to represent it as it would have been in military service. But, if I were to tow it behind my WWII jeep, I would lean towards the MBT chains rather than the Ben Hur chains as I'm not sure the BH hooks would fit in the safety chain eye bolts on the jeep. Maybe, but kind of overkill. Just something to keep the trailer from leaving the roadway, so MBT/T3 chains and hooks might be a better fit.
Now, to figure out the trailer wiring and socket set up. Can't find a single wire clip on this trailer, but two tail light brackets and guards welded on.

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”