B/O Switches and Landing Wheel Brackets

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
sasBenHur
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

B/O Switches and Landing Wheel Brackets

Post by sasBenHur » Sat Jan 01, 2022 8:07 am

Some items of interest on ebay

Willys Bantam Trailer Light Switch WWII 1/4 ton Trailer MBT Ben Hur.
I bought 2 of these B/O Switches - they appear to be good NOS and match the description and wiring diagrams in the G518 manual. And the switch turns easily with a screw driver. (no I did not use my thickened thumb nail - was tempted but did not))

This rare item - Ben hur Trailer G518 Hook steadying landing gear g518 7350103 1 TON
I have 1 of these coming in from the Netherlands - Pictures look good just hope it is what it says it is.

I have learned the hard way when something you need is offered for sale GET IT if at all possible. It may not come your way again and if it does it will be a lot more valuable to someone else.

My have to have part right now is a G518 landing wheel yoke/fork and the quadrant it attaches to.

Stan,
Toast for 2022 - May our turmoil and frustrations be less and our joy and health be greater and better.
1943 Ben Hur Trailer Mfg Checker
1945 Ben Hur Trailer Mfg Ben Hur

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: B/O Switches and Landing Wheel Brackets

Post by Rustman » Sun Jan 02, 2022 2:34 am

That landing leg hook looks correct to me. There were two versions, a cast and a stamped steel one. The seller is Wildenberg, that's a big name in the vehicle hobby over there. He's a reputable guy. For the switches, to be factory correct you would want one that does not have the large jam nut, that's a feature of the Jeep sized trailers. But I suspect that all replacement ones for motor pool were of the one type since they are otherwise interchangeable. We sell small parts kits for those if you are missing the body mounting hardware, gasket, grommets or electrical contact screws.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

sasBenHur
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by sasBenHur » Sun Jan 02, 2022 11:48 am

Hi Matt,

I got 2 of your refresh kits for the B/O switches - tried them out on the ones I bought, and they look like they will work really well. The longer screws you have for attaching to the trailer will work a whole lot better than the short ones that are on there now. One of the switches had all 6 screws for connecting the wires inside and the other one only had 3. So I am glad I have your parts kits.

About that jam nut - what does it hold together or keep in place or keep from coming off? Does all that stuff inside the housing come out? Is it pressed into the housing, screwed into it or what? I have not been brave enough to use the force that seems necessary to get it to come apart. It usually helps to know how it goes together to get it apart without destroying it.

BTW How are the repro landing wheel forks you have been working on?

Thanks so much for the additional info and checking out the hanger.

Stan
1943 Ben Hur Trailer Mfg Checker
1945 Ben Hur Trailer Mfg Ben Hur

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Mon Jan 03, 2022 4:04 pm

Stan,

Glad you like our kits. The shorter screws that came with the lights were probably to hold the flat metal back on. That goes hand in hand with the jam nut, which holds the switch to the frame of the Bantam "Jeep" trailers. On the smaller trailers the switch housing is mounted inboard of the frame rail and mounted via that jam nut through a big hole, the backing plate is required in that application because otherwise the switch is open to the air. On the Ben Hur trailers longer screws are used to bolt the switch to the body (or to a metal plate on the wooden trailers). Hope that helps explain what it's there for. As for taking one apart, I've never gone further than you have, I don't know how that switch is held to the spun steel housing and like you, I'm afraid to find out the wrong way.

As for the landing forks, sadly no further update on that. You'd think during a pandemic I wouldn't be traveling as much for work, but quite the opposite, now that there's some method (get a test, get a vaccine, wear a mask) we can fly most places and therefore we are catching up from what we didn't do in 2020.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”