For Sale: Ben Hur Trailer

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
Dave A.
Lt Col, USAF
For Sale: Ben Hur Trailer

Post by Dave A. » Mon Sep 27, 2021 12:21 pm

This trailer could definitely be restored. If you are good at working with metal, you will see that it needs some patch repairs. It is missing the front wheel though it has the front wheel attachment and the chains. Feel free to look at the pictures and contact me for more photos or just to talk by phone.

Good news: asking $400.00. Located in the Dayton, Ohio area.

Dave A.
Attachments
IMG_2347.JPG
IMG_2346.JPG
IMG_2345.JPG
IMG_2344.JPG
IMG_2343.JPG

nova2crest21
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Re: For Sale: Ben Hur Trailer

Post by nova2crest21 » Mon Sep 27, 2021 5:21 pm

Dave, I'm very interested, I sent you an email too. I can let you know tomorrow if I'll take it. Otto

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Wed Sep 29, 2021 4:17 am

This looks like the one I saw at the MVPA convention. I almost bought it. I didn't need more projects. I took a lot of photos and posted about the trailer on my company Facebook page. Here's what I wrote after looking at it:

Looks to be a 1941 or 1942 Nash-Kelvinator if I had my guess. Needs a lot of work but has some nice early features. Open drawbar, cast catch for the landing wheel, early chains, and rubber bump stops. Trailer has some interesting modifications. I suspect it was for a fuel transfer pump unit. There’s a lot of drilled holes, two side gates and a ground strap underneath.

As I recall the tires are decent too. You would want to replace them eventually but they appeared to me like they'd serve you ok for a few years. Notice how the brake handle mount was relocated to the front to accommodate the side opening gates. It is a unique trailer and had I bought it, I would have worked to preserve what I suspect were field or motor pool modifications to fit a transfer pump. I hope it goes to a good home.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

Dave A.
Lt Col, USAF

Post by Dave A. » Wed Sep 29, 2021 11:57 am

Rustman, thank you for the information. Always good to know who the experts are in certain categories of military vehicles and trailers.

This Ben Hur has been sold to someone who is going to restore it.

Dave A.

nova2crest21
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by nova2crest21 » Wed Sep 29, 2021 2:39 pm

Rustman, Thanks for the comments and insight. I'm buying the trailer and will strive to keep it as you described working with the folks that will restore it. I like to think that I am employing craftsman while preserving and helping historical items to endure. Best regards, Otto

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”