Making a Ben Hur Canvas Cover

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Making a Ben Hur Canvas Cover

Post by zepher11 » Fri Jun 25, 2021 8:51 pm

I am now the caretaker of Steve G's wooden Ben Hur trailer. With it came an original Ben Hur canvas cover. Since I've been teaching myself to sew, I decided to give it a go to see if I could make one. Here are some shots of the progress so far.

I started with the front and rear flaps. Amazingly, the canvas I have is 71 inches wide which is exactly what it measure out for the rough cut before sewing the bottom hems/edge or whatever they're called:

I recently retired, and I took my desk that I had for the past 27 years. I measured it up and then welded up some adjustable castors. Dialed it in to match my sewing table. It actually serves pretty well as a sewing table extension. The three main sections of the cover are 113 inches long. Lots of canvas to manage, so the desk is really coming in handy.

The rear flap has extra layers of canvas on each side. Likely due to it being used more often then the front flap I guess:

Little tricky getting the flaps to radius. The top bows on the Ben Hur rack are curved, so the canvas has to follow that curve. I used a wrought iron section and curved it to the radius of the original canvas cover:

Was feeling good about the project, but not so fast! The radius on the front and rear cover sections where the canvas flaps are attached was not too easy to do. Took me forever to get it decent. I'm sure sewers have some type of trick to make the curve/radius in the opposite direction. Not sure what that would be. The original looks pretty good, but not sure how they did it:

Actually pretty fun looking at how the original cover was constructed and trying to duplicate. A real mind bender for me to get all the measurements correct. Actually trying to make it a tad larger thinking that shrinkage may set in. Not sure if that's an issue or not.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Re: Making a Ben Hur Canvas Cover

Post by Rustman » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:21 am

Very impressive! Certainly beyond my skills. There's a gentleman out West who is carving out a niche/name for himself with some high quality seat and other Jeep canvas parts who contacted me about making covers. But I didn't have an original cover nor drawings for one. I might have shown him Steve G's ad for the whole trailer with cover. But I'm guessing buying an entire vehicle just for the canvas was a bit much for him ;)

Matthew
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:11 am

Rustman wrote:
Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:21 am
Very impressive! Certainly beyond my skills. There's a gentleman out West who is carving out a niche/name for himself with some high quality seat and other Jeep canvas parts who contacted me about making covers. But I didn't have an original cover nor drawings for one. I might have shown him Steve G's ad for the whole trailer with cover. But I'm guessing buying an entire vehicle just for the canvas was a bit much for him ;)

Matthew
Thank you! Hope it come out ok. I think it was Nick Hopper in Washington State. He told me he was interested in locating one to replicate. I really liked the wooden Ben Hur Steve had, so finally made a deal for it. I have a metal Ben Hur trailer that I will need a canvas for, so I thought I'd give it a shot. Not sure who else makes them in the states. I had ordered one last August from England, but they still haven't started it, so I figured I'd make my own now that I have a good template.

Actually, I think New Life Canvas makes a BH cover, but I have tried to order several items from them over the past few years, but I can never get a hold of them. Tried many times. Phone and e-mail doesn't seem to work to get a hold of them. No one answers, nor returns calls or e-mails.

Wow, just looked up New Life's website. They list their BH canvas at $695. That's really a good price. I'm tracking my hours and my costs of canvas, leather, grommets, buckles, and rope...plus my time, and I would be about double that or more to make any others. Of course, I don't get my materials wholesale.
Zeph

Tim Shanteler
G-Second Lieutenant
G-Second Lieutenant

Post by Tim Shanteler » Sat Jun 26, 2021 12:14 pm

You know, some folks just have to much talent....I'm satisfied if I can make breakfast!
Tim

1945 WC-57 81674456
1944 WC-52 81750129
1945 MB 430629
1943 Ford GPW133609
1943 Ben Hur 0347395 (Gertstenlager)

Fushigi Ojisan
G-Sergeant Major
G-Sergeant Major

Post by Fushigi Ojisan » Sat Jun 26, 2021 2:00 pm

Tim Shanteler wrote:You know, some folks just have to much talent....I'm satisfied if I can make breakfast!
I have ideas, but not the skills or tools to make them happen

Sent from my SM-T820 using Tapatalk

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Jun 26, 2021 5:47 pm

Thanks guys. Not sure on the skills...mostly just necessity. Can't get anyone to do anything around here anymore where we live. If one wants to have something built, it would be a year before there would be an opening for any contractor. I went to the local canvas shop in the fall to have them make my seat covers for my WC26 Carryall. They said can you wait till Fall? I said it is Fall...they said, no next Fall... Wife's air conditioner went out in her Nissan Rogue. 30 days to get into the dealer or any other shop in the County. Crazy times. Last year and a half has been an economic boom here like I have never seen before.

Anyhoo, have to do my own things, so sewing is a new necessity to help get my hobby stuff done. Plus, it's actually enjoyable. Of course, my shop is usually 10 degrees cooler than outside. Well, 110 degrees in there all day today while working on this project. Thank goodness for beer... :lol:

Finished up the rear section of the cover. Made some improvements on based on what I learned on the front cover:

Lots of detail on the corners that take a lot of abuse:

Laying out the three sections for final measurements. Sewed the rear section to the center section. 113 inches long. Really difficult to manage all that canvas. Having never done it before, learning ways to manage it as I go:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jun 28, 2021 4:47 am

Continued on the BH cover. I noticed something odd. When I sewed the long 114" runs, the upper section grew about 1". Not exactly sure why. Thought the walking foot was for the purpose of keeping the two sections together.

Here's one of the long runs:

The original cover I have didn't have finished seams across the top two areas where the three panels come together. I thought I would roll over the edge and make it really nice:

Ruh Roh...I see why they didn't roll the seam and left the seam unfinished. Almost impossible to sew through 11 layers of canvas. Bent three needles and had to rethread the needle about 50 times. Really was a bummer. I am learning a lot with this project. Here's the original with the unfinished seam:

I looks nice, but the stitching is a little rugged:

All sewn up with the exception of the flaps:

Someone told me that the original BH covers did not have curved end panels to match the top bow curves. If that's the case, that would save a ton of time and trouble for sure!

Now to figure out leather and grommets...
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jun 29, 2021 7:04 pm

Fitted the cover to the top bows on a Ben Hur today. Looked pretty decent, so I went ahead and sewed on the front and rear flap panels.

I'm really liking the fit, and I think it looks pretty decent for a first try. I think I will do one without the curved ends...just straight across as noted to be original. This would save a lot of time and costs to construct. However, the radius of the curve I sewed in where the flaps attach really don't look too bad.

Installed the grommets on the cover and the flaps today as well. Additionally, I sourced some leather strap material and started to cut those up today.

Now will need to figure out the leather sewing....
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jul 01, 2021 6:44 am

Next project on the cover is to figure out the leather attachments. I'll see how that goes. Lots of work. Not to mention I just realized that all of the attachment ropes are spliced....

Zeph

Hammerhead
G-Major
G-Major

Post by Hammerhead » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:17 am

WOW! I'm beyond impressed! The Ben-Hur cover is turning out GREAT!! Double WOW!
1943 White M-3 Halftrack, 1944 CCKW 353, 1945 MB, 1944 Bantam T3,
1945 Ben-Hur 1-ton trailer, MVPA 12610, NRA Life Member

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 8:31 am

Hammerhead wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:17 am
WOW! I'm beyond impressed! The Ben-Hur cover is turning out GREAT!! Double WOW!
Thank you! Working on the buckles now. Have the rivets now, so going to see how those turn out.
Zeph

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:46 am

Hello Zeph,

Incredible work , as you are known for !!!!
Very nice project and beautiful trailer.
I bought some original half ton command car seats from Steve, and we shipped them here to Florida via busfreighter.com.
Very cheap shipping with Greyhound.

I am looking at the pictures of your trailer and can tell you that your trailer looks to be an ETO Veteran 😁
It looks like it was used by the Austrian Army, as noted by the reflectors on the fenders, and their military issue "snow tires".
I have one that once was just like it, but the wood is rotted out. I was working on getting the wood but have focused on my jeep restoration first.
It has the similar reflectors and exact same brand tires, but on mine the reflectors are forward facing. Do you have reflector holes in the front of your fenders ?
The reflectors on mine have a single threaded bolt in the center.
They also are a silver colored reflector.

Keep us posted !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:01 pm

70th Division wrote:
Fri Jul 02, 2021 9:46 am
Hello Zeph,

Incredible work , as you are known for !!!!
Very nice project and beautiful trailer.
I bought some original half ton command car seats from Steve, and we shipped them here to Florida via busfreighter.com.
Very cheap shipping with Greyhound.

I am looking at the pictures of your trailer and can tell you that your trailer looks to be an ETO Veteran 😁
It looks like it was used by the Austrian Army, as noted by the reflectors on the fenders, and their military issue "snow tires".
I have one that once was just like it, but the wood is rotted out. I was working on getting the wood but have focused on my jeep restoration first.
It has the similar reflectors and exact same brand tires, but on mine the reflectors are forward facing. Do you have reflector holes in the front of your fenders ?
The reflectors on mine have a single threaded bolt in the center.
They also are a silver colored reflector.

Keep us posted !!!

Best Regards,
Ray
Hi Ray,

Thank you! Hmmm...that is great information regarding the trailer that it may be an Austrian Army. For it's age, it's in really good shape. The upper wood cross member on the front and rear racks have shrunk where it will not latch on both sides, but all of the wood is solid. I think I'll get some NDT's for it and see if I can get it registered. Will need to do a bit of maintenance before I get that done. I think it looks really awesome.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Jul 02, 2021 5:08 pm

Received the brass rivets and washers for the weather, thank you McMaster-Carr.

So, I finished cutting the straps and the rectangle leather for the buckles. Punch all the holes and then installed the rivets. I think they turned out pretty good:

Got them all done for one cover. Today, I cut and sewed up eight front and rear flaps with the intention of making four Ben Hur Covers.

I'm glad I went with the thicker leather than the original. I figure they don't make leather like they used to so thicker is better. A WWII canvas maker that made my WC52 cover used the thin leather for the straps. They didn't last a year. These are 4MM thick. Should last forever:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Jul 05, 2021 6:22 pm

Well, today was the day I riveted and sewed on the leather attachments to the cover. Stated with the riveting of the straps to the flaps:

Sewing the leather was a bit of a learning process. All new to me. First one didn't go so well. Problem is that the whole cover is completed and that's a lot of canvas to manage. Took me a bit to figure out how to go about it. First buckle arrangement:

The rest of them basically look like this:

Whad'ya know, it actually fit the trailer:

Actually, didn't turn out too bad for a novice sewer! Shot a little video too: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=olaC_BkUpus
Zeph

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”