Making a Ben Hur Canvas Cover

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Making a Ben Hur Canvas Cover

Post by D.R.H. » Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:31 pm

I should say that your Tarpaulin is looking very nice Zeph. The color of the canvas goes extremely well with the worn paint on your trailer. I ask kindly, please enable your comments on YouTube so that your viewers may compliment you on your work. Thanks, Dave.
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.
In Loving Memoriam: Ann Hancock, 08 Mar. 1934 - 25 Sept. 2021. R.N. 1960 - 2005. R.I.P. Mom.
Thank You BOTH for always being there.

My YouTube Channel. https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCaMKEv ... M3g/videos.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jul 06, 2021 4:20 pm

D.R.H. wrote:
Tue Jul 06, 2021 1:31 pm
I should say that your Tarpaulin is looking very nice Zeph. The color of the canvas goes extremely well with the worn paint on your trailer. I ask kindly, please enable your comments on YouTube so that your viewers may compliment you on your work. Thanks, Dave.
Thanks Dave. Holy cow. Took me about 30 minutes to figure out how to enable comments. Gave it a shot. Didn't realize it took an act of Congress to enable comments. Hopefully, comments are available now, but when I check says still not available. Probably out of luck.

EDIT. I guess I selected that this video was ok for kids, so youtube automatically blocked comments. Not sure it can be fixed now. Have tried five or six things and watched videos to correct, but nothing seems to work to change it. In the future if I ever post a video, I will select "not suitable for children" and see how that goes. People used to comment on my past videos.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Jul 09, 2021 6:04 pm

Made a second Ben Hur cover. Pretty well perfected sewing on the leather which was a little tricky to learn. This second one turned out pretty nice. I extended the sides of the canvas cover as well to make it go all the way down to the fenders. Looks pretty decent, and should last for years just in case there is any shrinkage.

Some shots of the most recent cover. Riveted leather which from what I can tell no other manufacturers do. I see a lot sewn on canvas straps on other repos:

Thankfully, the humidity isn't too bad in the shop. May be about 8 degrees warmer tomorrow:

Anyhoo, if anyone wants a Ben Hur cover, let me know. I think I have enough material and one or two left in me. Takes a few days to make them. Fairly technical and lots of parts and pieces.

Here's another video I shot of this recent cover. I figured out how to post to allow comments. Make the videos unsuitable for kids...which seems kinda sad. Oh well, onward with....I won't say it:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dGTGAQbpYOM

Here's a couple of shots of the original Ben Hur cover leather attachments:

Zeph

Rustman
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by Rustman » Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:00 am

That's really great work. Nicely done with the leather and rivets. When I ordered my canvas I requested leather straps. I haven't had a chance to take it out of the box and look. I'll be curious to see how well they did compared to yours.

Matthew
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1945 Corps of Engineers Welder & Trailer
1943 G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Steel Body
194* G518 "Ben Hur" Trailer Composite Body
http://g518parts.com/

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Tue Jul 13, 2021 5:42 pm

Rustman wrote:
Tue Jul 13, 2021 8:00 am
That's really great work. Nicely done with the leather and rivets. When I ordered my canvas I requested leather straps. I haven't had a chance to take it out of the box and look. I'll be curious to see how well they did compared to yours.

Matthew
Thank you. I'd be interested to see as well. Been a fun project and learned quite a bit. I see most of the canvas makers make the covers out of two panels rather than three like I have been doing based on the canvas cover I have that seems somewhat original. A bit more work and labor to do three panels and not two. Be interested to see the inside seams on yours as well. I've been rolling the canvas over 1" and then another 2 1/2 inch's on all the edges like the one I have as an example. Lot of work there too.

I'm sure the one you have will look fantastic! If the maker I ordered my BH canvas cover from would have made mine by now, I wouldn't even be doing this. Been eleven months since I ordered. Maybe they'll get back to me some day....they basically said don't call us we'll call you when we get started when I inquired a few months ago.
Zeph

Thundercat97
G-First Lieutenant
G-First Lieutenant

Post by Thundercat97 » Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:07 am

Very nice work.
Rob

41 WLA Type II
42 Open Cab CCKW 353
43 Diamond T M3 Half-Track
57mm M1A2 Anti Tank Gun
1 Ton Ben Hur Trailer

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Jul 15, 2021 4:42 am

Thundercat97 wrote:
Wed Jul 14, 2021 7:07 am
Very nice work.
Thank you!
Zeph

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”