1944 Anthony Mark II Bomb Trailer Restoration

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

1944 Anthony Mark II Bomb Trailer Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Fri Dec 04, 2020 6:57 pm

Thought I would try to get my Anthony Mark II Bomb Trailer restored. Also have a 1000lb bomb for it as well. Practice bomb that is. Has most of the parts with the exception of the ramp which is rare to see:

Data tag. Would be nice to find someone to restore this tag, or maybe find a replacement:

I have spent about three weeks trying to get the wheels off without destroying them. Was able to get the mounting bolts off, but the wheels were rusted to the hubs. After about three weeks the front wheels finally popped off whilst moving it around. I had been soaking them in PB Blaster:

I have three wheels off now. The last one is still putting up a good fight.

I split the two front wheels. I have new tires that sort of look like the ones in the first photo below from the manual:

Couple of photos of what it should look like:

And a shot of the cool inverted trailer modification:

Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

Gbcygnet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Re: 1944 Anthony Mark II Bomb Trailer Restoration

Post by Gbcygnet » Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:37 am

Thanks for posting this, John. Interesting to see something different. I assume that’s a hydraulic jack on the modified one.
Ford GPW 24.03.1942
Serial no. GPW6024

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Dec 05, 2020 5:13 am

Gbcygnet wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 12:37 am
Thanks for posting this, John. Interesting to see something different. I assume that’s a hydraulic jack on the modified one.
I was thinking that it must be hydraulic. Seems like a much better way to load than the static trailer. Some ingenious ground crews are at work there.
Zeph

gyknot
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by gyknot » Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:34 pm

I'd keep the data plate just as it is. Its very readable and to me just seems right.
I put new ones on my Dodge, but now that I'm almost done, I kind of wish the original plates would have been decent enough to still read. I'd put them back on.
But its your trailer and pretty doggone cool too.

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Dec 06, 2020 6:07 am

gyknot wrote:
Sat Dec 05, 2020 3:34 pm
I'd keep the data plate just as it is. Its very readable and to me just seems right.
I put new ones on my Dodge, but now that I'm almost done, I kind of wish the original plates would have been decent enough to still read. I'd put them back on.
But its your trailer and pretty doggone cool too.
You're right, other than being a little beat up and weathered, the original stamping is in really good condition on this plate. A lot of the Dodge WC's I find have data plates, but the stamping is long gone.

Plus, I like the font of the number stamping on this data plate. Has a bit of flair to it vs. the typical block stamping. 8)
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:20 pm

First sandblasting and paint project since my shoulder surgery. Nice to actually get something done for a change:

Tried to move this a bit, but geez, it's amazing how much it weighs. WWII steel. Of course, I'm a bit winged:

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 4:37 pm

Couple more vintage shots if anyone is interested:

Of course, all of these trailer are different than mine, but close. Don't see too many like mine:

Zeph

gyknot
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by gyknot » Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:03 pm

thats a lot of little trailers. pretty neet

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Dec 10, 2020 7:02 pm

gyknot wrote:
Thu Dec 10, 2020 6:03 pm
thats a lot of little trailers. pretty neet
It is. Looks like the GI's found the one with the bent up bomb fins. Maybe it was a test...like where's Waldo. 8)
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Fri Dec 11, 2020 7:57 pm

Installed the tubes in the tires today. Pretty difficult as the slit to insert the tube was about the width of a dime. Very stiff. I pried them open with some pieces of oak trim I had. Still took a bit of time. Hadn't thought about flaps. The tires and tubes I pulled didn't have any either. Not sure I can find any, or if they are really required.

Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Dec 12, 2020 6:31 pm

Spent a little time on the trailer today. Media blasted and painted all of the wheel hardware. Lots of parts and pieces:

Then tried to mount the tires:

Wasn't too bad, but I couldn't get one side of the tire to fully seat. Inflate...deflate...inflate...deflate. Gee whiz, did that a lot. Was able to get two fully seated on both sides. The other two wheels, I can get only one side to seat, but not the other side no matter what I tried. If one side would seat, the other side would not. Finally gave up. I guess I'll take the two to a tire place and see what they could do.

I used really soapy water, and then silicone. The silicone worked on the two that seated on both sides, but not the other two. This is what it looks like with almost 90lbs of pressure....not seated:

Seated. Tire fits close to the rim. Tire shop I hope can assist:

With that frustration over, I started pulling the hubs:

The bearings don't look too bad. Not a lot of wear on these I would suspect. So, decided to mark the hubs so I can keep the bearings with the correct hub and not mix them up:

Soaking all of the bolts in PB Blaster for future removal. I still marvel at how heavy this trailer is. It's rock solid:

Some really interesting hardware holding on the articulating nose section:

Soaking the hubs and bearings in degreaser now. Will need to figure out the oil seal size. Hopefully, they are of a common size.
Zeph

gyknot
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by gyknot » Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:16 am

I'm surprised with that much air pressure and soaped up they won't go on. Guess you are too.
You could try some tire grease but its probably easier and maybe cheaper just to take them to a shop and let them do it. Less frustration that way as well.
I have a bunch of those to do someday from a post war bomb trailer and a military Hobart welder. Wonder if I'll ever even get to those. :oops:

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 5:50 pm

gyknot wrote:
Sun Dec 13, 2020 7:16 am
I'm surprised with that much air pressure and soaped up they won't go on. Guess you are too.
You could try some tire grease but its probably easier and maybe cheaper just to take them to a shop and let them do it. Less frustration that way as well.
I have a bunch of those to do someday from a post war bomb trailer and a military Hobart welder. Wonder if I'll ever even get to those. :oops:
lol...yes, I have a few projects lying about that I wonder if I will get to them. Have high hopes, however.

Yeah, I used that NAPA SIL glyde lubricant. I only pull that out when nothing else works. It worked on the first two wheels after the soap failed. What's odd is that I can get one side to seat. Then if I deflate, try it again, and I can get the other side to seat. Just not both sides at the same time. Very strange.

I have five Dodge WC half-ton wheels that I need the tires dismounted, so I hulked those into the truck with one arm today. I'll take them with me to the tire shop along with the Mark II tires. Hoping to have two good arms in about a month...then I can really get something done!
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Dec 13, 2020 6:01 pm

Pulled off some of the trailer components today. Some big chunks of metal:

Shot of the clipping mechanism for hooking these trailers together as well as the ramp holders on the rear:

Shot of the front with the trailer inverted. One can see the bomb spring clamp that holds the bombs to the trailer as well as the front hooks that I believe hold the ramp under the trailer:

The bearings are Timken, but look pretty good. Hope to reuse those. The seals may be original as they are leather and not rubber. Need to find the correct size seal now:

The bolts on the front axel and the rear axel are really on there. I'm giving them a real soaking in PB blaster. Hoping that they will pop off here next week. I soaked the hubs and bearings in Simple Green, and it simply didn't work at all. Need to up the solvent to clean these things. The grease is like rock hard.
Zeph

gyknot
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by gyknot » Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:03 am

For a one armed bandit you are getting quite a bit accomplished.
We got some good snow the last couple of days so even though I have a decent shop to work in, my ambition completely goes away during the winter. I'll just watch others get something done and do some figuring.

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”