1944 Anthony Mark II Bomb Trailer Restoration

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: 1944 Anthony Mark II Bomb Trailer Restoration

Post by zepher11 » Mon Dec 14, 2020 5:38 pm

gyknot wrote:
Mon Dec 14, 2020 7:03 am
For a one armed bandit you are getting quite a bit accomplished.
We got some good snow the last couple of days so even though I have a decent shop to work in, my ambition completely goes away during the winter. I'll just watch others get something done and do some figuring.
Still moving slow, but coming back quick! Yeah, snow would probably slow me down...a little. haha.

Well, took the two bomb trailer tires to the tire shop to see if they could set the beads this am. Also dropped off five half-ton wheels to have the tires dismounted so I can blast, prime, and paint the wheels.

They called a few hours later and said they were done. They charged me $8 to inflate the bomb trailer tires. I deflated them before I took them in. :? The beads still weren't set. They told me it was impossible to set the beads on the one side of the wheel due to the design of the wheels. I told them that I set the other two wheels on both sides. They looked at me like I had an extra eye in my forehead. Oh well, gave it a shot. I'll try again later to see if I can do it. Took me a while to get the other two to set.

Charged me $75 to dismount the five half-ton split rims. Beats doing it myself! I really can't have a go at them right now anyway.
Zeph

'42 Script GPW Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

'41 Dodge WC16 Restoration Thread: CLICK HERE!

gpwmke
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by gpwmke » Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:45 pm

Nice job on your bomb trailer restoration. Where did you find yours? I would like to find one to restore and tow behind my original Navy jeep. Appreciate any leads you may have. Best wishes;

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Thu Dec 17, 2020 6:11 pm

gpwmke wrote:
Tue Dec 15, 2020 7:45 pm
Nice job on your bomb trailer restoration. Where did you find yours? I would like to find one to restore and tow behind my original Navy jeep. Appreciate any leads you may have. Best wishes;
Thank you. This one was found down south of San Diego. There is a thread about it when the women was trying to sell it on here somewhere. Don't know of any others available at the moment. They do pop up from time to time, however.
Zeph

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by rjbeamer » Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am

Good day Zeph! Glad to see you up and charging ahead.

On setting the tire beads. One thing that i have had luck with as a lube is the proverbial KY jelly. On large O-rings and rubber chevron seals that are almost impossable to install without destroying them, KY Jelly works great. It will not damage paint and is removed easily with soap and water.
As the Ad for KY jelly says, Yea... we couldn't think of any other use for it either. Well for mounting tire beads on vintage Mag wheels or large rubber seals it was obvious to me that they were wrong.

Roger

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:38 am

rjbeamer wrote:
Fri Dec 18, 2020 6:43 am
Good day Zeph! Glad to see you up and charging ahead.

On setting the tire beads. One thing that i have had luck with as a lube is the proverbial KY jelly. On large O-rings and rubber chevron seals that are almost impossable to install without destroying them, KY Jelly works great. It will not damage paint and is removed easily with soap and water.
As the Ad for KY jelly says, Yea... we couldn't think of any other use for it either. Well for mounting tire beads on vintage Mag wheels or large rubber seals it was obvious to me that they were wrong.

Roger
Thanks Roger. Hadn't thought about KY Jelly as a solution. However, I was looking at the wheels this morning. And the guy at the tire shop many be right. When I look at the wheel lip of the wheels with the two sides that won't fully seat, the metal is a lot wider on the outer edge of the wheel halfs.

I'll be out there again later this morning and shoot a couple of photos. It may just be an appearance issue. That will drive me crazy. Wouldn't be as bad if one wasn't on and outside edge and the other on the inside. If they were both on the outside or the inside, I could likely get over it. Now it will drive me crazy. I guess I could have the wheel half chucked up in a lathe and have it trimmed. That would correct it aesthetically.
Zeph

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sat Dec 19, 2020 5:23 pm

Here are a couple of photos I shot of the lip on the wheel halves. Of the eight halves, six look like this:

One inner and one outer look like this:

I guess I'm just going to need to sell it after I'm done because I don't think I can live with this abomination. :roll:

As a reminder, this is what six of the wheel sides look like:

And this is what the two halves with the long lip look like:

What a disaster!
Zeph

Gbcygnet
G-Sergeant First Class
G-Sergeant First Class

Post by Gbcygnet » Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:14 am

I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but is it possible the two odd halves started life together which would then mean you have one wheel different to the other three?
Ford GPW 24.03.1942
Serial no. GPW6024

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 5:08 am

Gbcygnet wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 12:14 am
I’m sure you’ve thought of this, but is it possible the two odd halves started life together which would then mean you have one wheel different to the other three?
Yeah, I think you're right. I had thought about marking them to keep the wheel halves together, but I only did that for the hubs.

No matter how I mix and match the wheel halves at this now there will always be one outside wheel halve that will look odd unless I trim it.

I think the real fix is to find someone that has three long lip wheels and trade them for their odd wheel. haha...
Zeph

gyknot
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by gyknot » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:33 am

My guess would be two different companies that did the stamping. Although they are to the same specs, one just has a little bit more overhang and since it didn't bother anything they ignored it.

I agree you should not ignore it any longer. When you get a chance, just box the whole thing up and send it to me so you don't have to look at it anymore. You will thank me in the long run!! :lol:

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:19 pm

gyknot wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 7:33 am
My guess would be two different companies that did the stamping. Although they are to the same specs, one just has a little bit more overhang and since it didn't bother anything they ignored it.

I agree you should not ignore it any longer. When you get a chance, just box the whole thing up and send it to me so you don't have to look at it anymore. You will thank me in the long run!! :lol:
lol..I guess I'll just have to tough it out.

Some shots of the now completed wheels. Compared to what they were a few weeks back, they are in much better shape now to say the least. After a lot of trying, I was able to bolt the valve stems to the wheels. The hole in the wheel half is pretty large, so it necessitated the washer. I couldn't get the nuts on the threads due to the washer, but finally managed. No room for a lock washer, however:

After soaking for a few weeks, cleaned up the bearings. Mostly clean with the exception of a few pieces with baked on grease. Will need to buff that off with the wire wheel:

Zeph

GPW1263
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by GPW1263 » Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:41 pm

Have you compared these wheels with other, more modern wheels of the same size?

Those look all the world like what I call 'flightline wheels" which is what seems to be on pretty much any aircraft service and support equipment up unto the current day.

Cheers,
GPW1263

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:06 am

GPW1263 wrote:
Sun Dec 20, 2020 8:41 pm
Have you compared these wheels with other, more modern wheels of the same size?

Those look all the world like what I call 'flightline wheels" which is what seems to be on pretty much any aircraft service and support equipment up unto the current day.

Cheers,
GPW1263
Looked around a bit online, but can't find anything close with the five lug holes and the eight ring bolts in that size. I'm sure they're out there somewhere. Just knowing what to look for may be the ticket. Hopefully, I'll eventually get used to them.
Zeph

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:38 am

Well, I've got four right here in front of me and another four on my flight-line cart (just a a small four-wheel trailer much like what the airlines use to put luggage on but it's a flatbed with stake pockets). I keep the extra four as spares as tires around here seem to mysteriously deflate from time to time.

These are extremely common wheels -but- my rims look more like the rim you are having difficulties with. I suspect your odd rim is not as old as the others.

Your restoration looks small and quite manageable. :mrgreen: Who doesn't love a project like that?!!

Just a tip for obstinate beads that don't want to seat fully...when mounted upon your vehicle and at max pressure, sometimes just a short run around the block will compel that tire to seat fully.

Cheers,
GPW1263

zepher11
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by zepher11 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 8:38 am

GPW1263 wrote:
Mon Dec 21, 2020 7:38 am
Well, I've got four right here in front of me and another four on my flight-line cart (just a a small four-wheel trailer much like what the airlines use to put luggage on but it's a flatbed with stake pockets). I keep the extra four as spares as tires around here seem to mysteriously deflate from time to time.

These are extremely common wheels -but- my rims look more like the rim you are having difficulties with. I suspect your odd rim is not as old as the others.

Your restoration looks small and quite manageable. :mrgreen: Who doesn't love a project like that?!!

Just a tip for obstinate beads that don't want to seat fully...when mounted upon your vehicle and at max pressure, sometimes just a short run around the block will compel that tire to seat fully.

Cheers,
GPW1263
Yeah, I'm sure the wheels are out there. I just need to figure what exactly to search for. I'm striking out at the moment. As a motor pool restoration, it'll fit right in with one wheel a little different than the other three.

It is a pretty small project. I think getting the tires and wheels completed is likely the largest and most expensive part of this project. Soaking the bearings wasn't too taxing on me. :lol: Now I trying to determine if I should fully disassemble the front and rear axles before I blast, or call it good and just blast and paint as is.
Zeph

GPW1263

Post by GPW1263 » Mon Dec 21, 2020 10:42 am

IMHO, if you are going to remove most of the original coating, and unless there is some obvious corrosion to be dealt with, why not leave just some original paint for the next guy so that he'll have an original sample for reference?

Your restoration will last long into the future, likely well beyond most of our lives and almost certainly all references to paint codes & paint formulations of that era. I cannot think of any better justification to leave it alone...

Cheers,
GPW1263

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”