Photos & drawings for searchlight trailer turnbuckles.

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
kdsmilitary
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Photos & drawings for searchlight trailer turnbuckles.

Post by kdsmilitary » Mon Jan 14, 2019 1:09 am

I am looking for photographs and drawings of the unique tiedown turnbuckles used to secure the 60 inch Antiaircraft Searchlight in the M1 Searchlight Trailer.
Also need photos and details of the tiedown brackets for the manual control wheel and shaft that stows on the right side of the trailer.
Many thanks,
Kirk
Capt. Kirk
42 Dodge WC52, 41 GMC CCW,
51 Willy's M38A1, 42 Diamond T 969
1942A GE Searchlight,
67 Kaiser M715, 62 Ford M151

D.R.H.
G-Major General
G-Major General

Re: Photos & drawings for searchlight trailer turnbuckles.

Post by D.R.H. » Mon Jan 14, 2019 6:32 pm

Hi Kirk, you may try Fort MacArthur Museum in San Pedro Calif. They have quite a few operational searchlight, distant electric controls, generators and searchlight trailers. One is from the Chet Krause collection and very complete. I helped to keep most of the trucks there maintained. Click on contacts to...well, contact them. :)

http://www.ftmac.org
In Loving Memoriam: George R. Hancock. 20 Mar. 1938 - 11 Jan. 2017. U.S.A.F. 1956 - 1962. R.I.P. Dad.

kdsmilitary
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by kdsmilitary » Wed Jan 16, 2019 9:41 am

Thank you, I have purchased a fantastic restored light, generator and DEC unit and came up with a slightly modified trailer that I am in the process of restoring back to original configuration.
I have emailed a few of the guys at Ft. Mcarthur regarding the DEC operation and think it might be time to take a trip down there to speak with them in person and see their phenomenal collection and display.
Thanks again for the referral,

Kirk Skaggs
Capt. Kirk
1942A GE Searchlight,

3rdCoast
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by 3rdCoast » Thu Jan 31, 2019 12:04 pm

Hi Kirk

Chris from Fort MacArthur here, there are two different types of turnbuckles that I have come across on searchlight trailers. Not sure if both types are original or not. I can try to take some picture for you, but we have our big Great Los Angeles Air Raid of 1942 event coming up and all of our work is going towards that for the next few weeks. If I get back to where we have our trailers stored, I will snap some picture for you.

Chris

3rdCoast
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by 3rdCoast » Thu Jan 31, 2019 4:05 pm

Kirk, Here are some measurements off of one of the museums turnbuckles

The body of the turnbuckle measures 6 1/4" long and 1 3/4" diameter. The threaded insert that is welded to the inside of the body measure 1 1/4" The I Bolt measures 7 1/2" long with a 1 1/2" opening at the eye. The hook end measures 5 1/4" and is a left handed thread.

In the attached picture you can see the two different types of turnbuckles used on these trailers. The top turnbuckle is made from metal and rubber, and the bottom is made strictly of metal. You can see on the left side on the top turnbuckle how the "hook" got pulled out of the turnbuckle body, this one is no longer serviceable.

Chris
Attachments
turnbuckle.jpg
turnbuckle.jpg (148.16 KiB) Viewed 446 times

kdsmilitary
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by kdsmilitary » Sun Feb 03, 2019 1:33 pm

Chris,
Thank you very much, this is just what I need.
I will be able to fabricate these in my machine shop.
I would like to come visit the museum and see the great restorations and check out other details regarding the light, trailer and DEC unit.
I have been testing and inspecting my DEC unit and it appears to be fully fuctional, I need to fabricate or procure the connectors and cable assembly and test and reinstall the azmith and elevation amplifier boards.
I also need to obtain enough information to fabricate the open sight unit with the thumbscrew retaining bar.
I look forward to meeting you and discussing these historical pieces.

Kirk Skaggs
Capt. Kirk
1942A GE Searchlight,

mfrance
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by mfrance » Mon Feb 04, 2019 3:56 pm

http://www.milweb.net/webvert/a3660/95316
Above link has email to guy who might also be able to help.
I sold ft macarthur there 1st searchlight and generator..
Great place to visit. Lots of quality stuff. Not far from battleship Iowa

kdsmilitary
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by kdsmilitary » Mon Mar 18, 2019 11:07 am

Chris,
I am in the process of fabricating the reproduction Searchlight Turnbuckles, and they are looking very good.
In looking at my first generation M1 Fruehauf Searchlight Trailer, I cannot find a location where these attach into the deck.
My trailer is the early configuration with the front facing box and low hole location for the Control Pole, instead of the tubular extension with the higher hole, for the later control pole location.
This in itself makes it very difficult to locate data for, but I cannot locate any good reference pictures showing this area or feature in the manuals or web images so far.
My plan is to schedule a visit to the museum at Ft. MacArthur after the school year when I have a break, but if you have any images of how and where they go into the trailer deck, that would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you for your assistance,
Kirk Skaggs
Capt. Kirk
1942A GE Searchlight,

tranham
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by tranham » Fri Mar 29, 2019 4:34 pm

Slightly off topic but I’m looking for a part of the DEC. I have the main unit and tripod. Looking for the upright pole and binocular holder assembly. Any help would be appreciated

Robert Nitsche

615-418-2073

kdsmilitary
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by kdsmilitary » Sat Mar 30, 2019 1:15 am

Robert,
I'm afraid I can't help you with that one.
I only have one unit and it is missing the binocular attachment bracket and open sight.
I will keep you in mind if I locate additional parts.

Sincerely,

Kirk Skaggs
Capt. Kirk
1942A GE Searchlight,

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”