1943 Gertenslager Ben Hur For Sale

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
mmclean
G-Private
G-Private
1943 Gertenslager Ben Hur For Sale

Post by mmclean » Thu Jun 23, 2016 1:01 pm

All,
Putting this back up for sale regretfully. I bought it last year from a member here in hopes of restoring it last summer. With a newborn in the house and another on the way and two jobs, its sat for a year and the money is needed elsewhere. It has been in a enclosed, unheated barn all winter, hasn't seen any snow or rain since I bought it last May. It currently is still in storage. Heres the posting from last year: Nothing has changed. I haven't had a chance to do anything with it.

WWII Ben Hur Trailer G518, built by Gerstenlanger Co., Model "A" , Serial # 16276, DOD 6-24-43. This Ben Hur has the lunette and wheel assembly which are the by far the most difficult/ impossible parts to find. Notes: the handbrake assembly is complete along with the cable; has the original dataplates; tailgate pins and chains are original ; landing wheel rolls and turns freely in any direction; the pin in the landing leg is stuck ; I removed the taillight brackets, blackout light switch and the trailer chains* to sell separately, but decided to sell the trailer as I found it, so those are included as well; the two front pockets will need repair; other pockets are straight and in very good shape; front panel needs repair; fenders are good ; bedsides and front panel are straight; tail gate is in great shape, moves freely, has a little bend in the upper left corner (doesn’t impede securing) ; all the tie down rings are present; rims and tires are good; the brake drums were removed for some reason ; the front part of the floor will need work as well as the channel underneath it (see photos); the frame has some surface rust but seems to be in good shape & straight. Please look at the photos so you can see what I have described.
* The trailer chains are longer that normal and after closer inspection and comparing them to the ones on my other Ben Hur, I believe they were modified making them longer. The original hooks and wedges each have two original links and a slightly smaller chain was added in between for length. My originals chains minus hook and wedge measure 19 1/4 and these are 55 1/2 . Whoever grafted these did nice job.
I will not part this out, so please don’t ask (been asked a few times). If I sold off the most desirable parts, then I’m left with what everyone else has...something hard to restore and hard to sell.
There is no title for it, just a bill of sale. Sold as is.
All of the small parts are still with it (chains, brackets, light switch), just in a cardboard box.
Currently located at a lakehouse in storage in Limerick Maine, but I can move it with notice to my house in Rochester NH. I have more photos than the flickr acct shows, so please email me at matthewmmclean (AT) gmail DOT com for more.
Priced at $1500 to move.
https://www.flickr.com/photos/141899266@N06/?

Thanks,
Matt

TopKick
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: 1943 Gertenslager Ben Hur For Sale

Post by TopKick » Thu Jun 23, 2016 4:41 pm

That's a nice G518 Ben Hur at an affordable price. These trailers pull nicely behind half ton and larger vehicles...military or civilian. Best of luck with your sale. 8)
"Keep 'Em Rolling"
TopKick

"Until it's melted down and turned into something else, or blown to Smitherines, it's restorable"!

mmclean
G-Private
G-Private

Post by mmclean » Tue Jul 05, 2016 10:55 am

Price is negotiable.. PM if interested.

mmclean
G-Private
G-Private

Post by mmclean » Fri May 18, 2018 2:16 am

Trailer is still for sale. Willing to accept reasonable offers and help with transportation.

Thanks,
Matt

mmclean
G-Private
G-Private

Post by mmclean » Mon Oct 22, 2018 11:03 am

Trailer is still for sale and looking to move it before winter. Next stop is Ebay or a scrapyard.

email me or text

SIX-ZERO-THREE-SIX-SIX-ONE-SIX-NINE-FOUR-TWO

Thanks,
Matt

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Sun Oct 28, 2018 5:25 am

PM sent.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

signsup
banned

Post by signsup » Sat Nov 03, 2018 1:16 pm

Not even a response to my offer? I would think if it's headed to the scrap yard, my offer would seem a better alternative.
Robert Brough
Winston, GA
2018 MVPA Honor Service Award
President, GA MVPA

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”