G518 Trailer Parts Needed

Half-ton trailer series and larger, Wanted, For Sale(NO EBAY ITEMS), and Knowledge Base
cavalrydave153
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

G518 Trailer Parts Needed

Post by cavalrydave153 » Sun Dec 01, 2019 11:07 pm

Parts Needed for a G518: Unknown year and unknown manufacturer-data tag gone. Looking for: Safety Chains and hooks; Right side blackout tail light; set of tailgate pins and chains; parking brake handle thumb-button.

Also need help to ID attached pics. Anyone have ideas of what this trailer's original variant might have been based on the holes in the floor. They are definitely stamped not cut or drilled and too perfectly spaced to have been done by Bubba on the farm after the war. Also, is the single safety chain and hook in the pic correct?

Thanks, Dave.
194?? G518 1-Ton Trailer (manufacturer??/variant??)
1944 WC 56

Joe Gopan
Gee Addict

Re: G518 Trailer Parts Needed

Post by Joe Gopan » Mon Dec 02, 2019 8:44 am

Prefixes for the Spring Hanger Casting Numbers can sometimes be a hint.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

Rustman
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by Rustman » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:50 am

Pictures didn't come through but often stamped holes in the floor indicates it was for a PE-xx generator power plant for Signal Corps. I'm up the road from you in Charles Town and have a wooden one I'm restoring. I'm also working on a database of known G518 trailers to compare manufacturer variations to hopefully answer your question about the missing data plate. It's a common problem with these trailers and they don't have nearly the following the Jeeps or even the Jeep trailers have. So the information isn't all complete in one place.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1967 Ford M-151A1

Warren Duchesne
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Post by Warren Duchesne » Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 pm

I have the safety chains and a parking brake handle rebuild kit that includes the button. Both are NOS . PM me if interested. Thanks Warren Duchesne

cavalrydave153
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by cavalrydave153 » Mon Dec 02, 2019 10:39 pm

Ok, this is the third time I tried to Reply to all who gave me great help. I guess I keep hitting the wrong buttons. New Forum user AND computer idiot. Anyway:

Matt: I tried to download the pics but the Forum site said each one was too large. Being a computer idiot I don't know what to do about that. In my quest to figure this out other folks have told me same thing you have, probably for one of the generator options. I have to assume a BIG generator because the holes are pretty far fore and aft suggesting something BIG that would fill, or nearly fill, the entire bed. Pics I've seen show some of the generator rigs are pretty big. I tried to PM but the Forum site denied me that right saying that I am too new to the Forum to allow me to PM, yet. I have to establish a longer history of Posts before it will let me PM. Anyway, I am home for R&R in Jan maybe we can get together or at least chat. Can you PM me with phone number etc.

Warren: I'll take the chains and the brake handle kit. Again, I cannot PM anyone yet; see above explaination. Can you PM me so I can get you paid and give you shipping address etc.

Joe: Thanks for the tip about looking at the Spring Hangar Casting Numbers Prefix!
1944 WC 56

cavalrydave153
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by cavalrydave153 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:27 am

Warren Duchesne wrote:
Mon Dec 02, 2019 7:24 pm
I have the safety chains and a parking brake handle rebuild kit that includes the button. Both are NOS . PM me if interested. Thanks Warren Duchesne
Warren, I'll take the chains and the brake handle kit. Forum will not let me PM yet, too new to the forum. Are you able to PM me with contact info so I get you paid and give you shipping address etc?
1944 WC 56

Ken Creason
System Administrator
System Administrator

Post by Ken Creason » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:37 am

You should be able to PM now Dave.
I've taken you out of the Newly Registered Users group.
_Ken
----------
(Insert here a seemingly endless list, broad in range and vast in scope, of very impressive accomplishments, which may or may not be true)
Your credibility is determined by the quality of advice that you give; your respectability is determined by how you give it.

cavalrydave153
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by cavalrydave153 » Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:59 am

Ken Creason wrote:
Tue Dec 03, 2019 7:37 am
You should be able to PM now Dave.
I've taken you out of the Newly Registered Users group.
Thank you! Love the forum, BTW, of course navigating such a thing is a whole new experience for me.
1944 WC 56

Rustman

Post by Rustman » Tue Dec 03, 2019 5:06 pm

Dave,

I'll send you a PM soon. I should have mentioned before that the generators would be the 4cyl Jeep engine powered ones. I think PE-95 comes to mind. January is a good time for me too, I'm TDY right now myself anyhow. Warren's a good guy. I've bought several parts from him. If he says NOS he really means it.

Matt
1970 Kaiser Jeep DJ-5A Left Hand Drive
1967 Ford M-151A1

Return to “Trailers 1/2 ton +”