57mm semi auto gear bracket removal

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
m.miller0412
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
57mm semi auto gear bracket removal

Post by m.miller0412 » Sun Nov 28, 2021 2:31 pm

Anyone have any insight on how to remove the semi auto gear bracket? Manual says to remove the two bolts (which I have) and that leaves the giant flat head that won't budge. Just looking for any help to see what I'm missing (if it isn't that giant flat head)

Thanks!

DDTrustee
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Re: 57mm semi auto gear bracket removal

Post by DDTrustee » Sun Nov 28, 2021 7:14 pm

Get a DRAG LINK socket set from Craftsman and find the one that fits......have two guys push the bit on a 1/2" drive socket with a breaker bar and tap GENTLY on the screw before hand to loosed the rust....that's what I did. Alternative....impact screw driver....it applies screw torque while tapping with ball peen hammer.
BUT, BEGS THE QUESTION: why are you removing that.....the brass "semi' "single" knob should let you lock it in the NON EJECT position to keep the shells from ejecting and getting expanded so they won't rechamber later.
reenacting and WWII history

m.miller0412
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
Re: 57mm semi auto gear bracket removal

Post by m.miller0412 » Mon Nov 29, 2021 11:36 am

Thats what I figured. Grabbed every size drag link I could but she wouldnt budge. Have it soaking in some transmission fluid to ease it up. Also have the hand impact drivers, no go. Removing it to strip the old paint off of it and get everything freely working again on it. Thought it might make cleaning it up easier but that one screw has other plans.

Return to “Artillery”