Flattening a brass nameplate

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
leadfarmer
G-First Sergeant
G-First Sergeant

Flattening a brass nameplate

Post by leadfarmer » Thu May 27, 2021 8:30 am

I have a cast brass nameplate off of a gun that is bent from the pressure of rust on the surface it was bolted to.

The plate is about 1.5" tall, 3" long, and 1/8" thick with raised lettering and edge that are close to 1/4" thick.

The plate is bent out at the top and bottom along the 3" length from rust pressure.

I would like to flatten it without damaging it.

My first thought was clamp it in a vice with some wood blocks, and then I thought maybe I should carefully heat it to anneal it.

Any thoughts?

thunder37
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major
Re: Flattening a brass nameplate

Post by thunder37 » Thu May 27, 2021 8:47 am

Hey Leadfarmer,

I use a sand bag all the time for gentle metal bending. Its from the Australian Panel Beaters, and general thin sheet metal work.

Make a canvas or cloth bag packed full of dry playground sand, big enough for the plate to lay on with lots of edge of bag exposed. You can buy them made with leather bags. That works too.

Lay the plate bowed side up in middle.

Make a smaller bag of sand about the size of a base ball. Hold it in palm of hand and gently whack the plate, straight down motion, until you get a feel for how it is bending.

You can make fine adjustments by working up lumps of sand in the bottom bag, and whacking again.

I would practice on a similar plate first, get the feel.

It won't damage or scratch your plate at all.

Good luck!

Return to “Artillery”