Hispano Suiza Barrel

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
martellus
G-Private
G-Private

Hispano Suiza Barrel

Post by martellus » Thu Jul 27, 2023 6:56 am

Been looking for a US Hispano Suiza barrel, ideally an M24 for a bit now.

May be interested in other parts as well.

Thanks

Mike McCrea
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Hispano Suiza Barrel

Post by Mike McCrea » Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:43 am

If you need M21A1 20mm brass let me know.
43 GPW
45 GPW
If you wanna sound intelligent just talk louder

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:18 pm

First post: welcome to the forum. I remember the 20mm HS we had on the M114; do you have the rest of the cannon? They were very accurate.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

martellus
G-Private
G-Private

Post by martellus » Fri Jul 28, 2023 9:38 am

Mike McCrea wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 11:43 am
If you need M21A1 20mm brass let me know.
Thanks, been watching your post a while, will probably contact you if I can manage to get all the parts together.
dpcd67 wrote:
Thu Jul 27, 2023 5:18 pm
First post: welcome to the forum. I remember the 20mm HS we had on the M114; do you have the rest of the cannon? They were very accurate.
Thanks, I've had an account for a bit now, but as an armor/artillery fan without armor/artillery I haven't had anything to contribute. Hope to change that eventually.

I believe your thinking of the M139 that used 20x139 - I actually was looking at one at a museum two weeks ago, but my stuff is earlier 20x110 caliber and an oddball dual caliber. I bought a demilled one at first with the intent to build a closed bolt semi, but later found a registered transferrable so now I am gathering a mix of parts to try to complete it as a chimera of the version I want. After missing a couple barrels here and elsewhere I decided to put out an ad instead of waiting and I was advised to look here which made sense.

I ended up diving into the history for these guns and it's probably one of the deepest rabbitholes for firearms I have been down, always stumbling upon new oddities and the unknown, and not much is really published on them despite the widespread service and models. They are a very interesting design and so many versions that operate the same overall, though I know the M139 has the weird pistons in barrel design which is really unique.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:23 am

Nice. Yes we had the M139. What are you mounting it on? They are rather heavy and long. And I remember the recoil springs which were very hard to disassemble for cleaning.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

martellus
G-Private
G-Private

Post by martellus » Sun Jul 30, 2023 8:08 am

I haven't focused too much on that yet, had some ideas but I am not too interested in fully committing until I have a complete gun. Have too many projects where I tried to get it all at once because I was worried I wouldn't be able to find parts later, and now I just have a larger pile of parts for each minus (important thing) than if I had just done it one at a time.

The ideal mounts, all the AA ones, are quite rare and all foreign made/used so seem like hens teeth. The Navy had some ship mounted versions (called MK16), that were essentially just the WW2 era guns remounted, but those mounts are both very large and I haven't seen a single one outside of service pictures.

I have thought about fabricating or having a mine equipment shop fabricate a pedestal to mount on a truck or trailer, but nothing I put too much thought into. I had heard of some existing pedestal mounts for other guns and I have been considering making an adapter or something for but there is more involved in moving them etc and I am holding off until some other things happen to try and check that out.

I also saw someone runs a M3 tripod with MK93 softmount + some custom adapters or modifications. The base price of around 4K for these and how low to the ground it sits doesn't have me totally sold though. I could see it if I was going to use the tripod for other guns as well but I don't plan on having anything else I would mount to it.

Are you talking about the buffer assembly or the main drive spring? I know those guns didn't have the big external springs and stuff on the barrel like the earlier Hispanos - the buffer assembly I know some models you are or are not supposed to take apart for cleaning. I don't think mine was intended and I was considering trying to find a model buffer that is intended to be end user disassembled.

How reliable was that gun in your experience? I heard not great things about the M139, but the US experience with Hispanos had already been colored by the issues from the WW2 Ordnance Department's mistakes, which then followed those guns throughout their service life.

dpcd67
G-General
G-General

Post by dpcd67 » Sun Jul 30, 2023 10:15 am

That was almost 50 years ago; I just remember a spring that was difficult and dangerous to remove and replace. We fired them off the M114; very accurate and reliable. Of course the soldiers had to do all the cleaning; not me. I would watch and tell them that they were doing a good job.
U. S. Army 28 years.
Armor Branch

Gmoon
G-Private
G-Private

Post by Gmoon » Thu Jan 25, 2024 7:29 am

Did you ever find a BBL?

I'm making newly reformed 103 Vulcan into 20x110 Hispano brass...
getting ready to do a fairly large run... respond if your interested. Thanks.

martellus
G-Private
G-Private

Post by martellus » Sun Feb 11, 2024 12:48 pm

I thought I had this thread setup to notify me, no, I have not found a barrel. Jeff was telling me about that, said he had gotten the recent samples back and was going to be testing them I think, very very cool project.

Return to “Artillery”