M20 75mm Recoilless Rifle Parts WTB

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
johnseidts
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

M20 75mm Recoilless Rifle Parts WTB

Post by johnseidts » Thu Feb 13, 2020 4:04 pm

Hi,
I am a new owner of a Firestone 75mm Recoilless Rifle, M-20. It is properly demilitarized, and I need a few parts. First thing is the direct-fire sight base. It was removed. The indirect mount base is still there. I would like a manual, ideas about making it a shooter with a sub-caliber device, optics, and a 1917 tripod or pieces. I am really looking for an M-18 recoilless for my collection, but this was where my artillery collection began due to fate or fortune, so Ill start here.
John K. Seidts- Wanted to Buy any aircraft parts or aviation items

dwing
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: M20 75mm Recoilless Rifle Parts WTB

Post by dwing » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:26 am

The direct fire bases are very hard to come buy. I have had several of these rifles some original and live and the sight base is hard to find. Subcal is fine but keep in mind that these are designed to be recoilless. The original subcal rounds were 30 caliber. I have seen a 50 caliber subcal made but they ported the barrel to reduce the recoil. They ported the subcal so close to the chamber that one could see copper from the projectile when a 50 bmg round was inserted into the chamber. Again, the back door of the recoilless wasn't designed to take a beating. Think of a recoilless rifle as really more like a thick walled rocket launchers then artillery. Think about it that way. During WWII it took a 3,500 pound gun to shoot a projectile of the same mass and velocity that a recoilless rifle which weights 110 pounds shoots. They are awesome for live fire as a registered DD. There are a couple of registered DD's out there.
If your gun doesn't leak oil, it's time for a bigger gun.

johnseidts
G-Lieutenant Colonel
G-Lieutenant Colonel

Post by johnseidts » Fri Feb 14, 2020 8:17 am

Thanks for the information. I saw a 57mm recoilless last year and was inclined to buy it but didnt. That was a mistake. This one was a lucky find. How hard are the M-86Cs to find? There are lots of 57mm ones out there.
John K. Seidts- Wanted to Buy any aircraft parts or aviation items

dwing

Post by dwing » Fri Feb 14, 2020 11:28 am

M86C?? Are you looking for the optic for the 57MM or the 75MM? the 75MM uses the M90D. You will find one.
If your gun doesn't leak oil, it's time for a bigger gun.

Return to “Artillery”