odd artillery cover any 75mm pack owners here?

Towed Artillery, Wanted, For Sale,(NO EBAY ITEMS) and Knowledge Base
jgawne
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

odd artillery cover any 75mm pack owners here?

Post by jgawne » Sun Jul 08, 2018 2:39 pm

I have what I was told is a 75mm pack cover with attached muzzle cover- no markings at all except for the number D-11117, which I assume is an ordnance drawing marking. One 75mm owner said it would not fit his weapon, but I am trying to properly ID it, and/or find it a good home.

Photos are a pain to take of it as it is a big floppy cover that wraps around something- and is attached by a system of snap links, straps, and ties. I tried to pad it out to figure the correct shape, but it is just no use. [attachment=2]cover 1.jpg[/attachment][attachment=1]cover 2.jpg[/attachment]

The muzzle cover is just a shade under 6 inches wide- and is sewn to the strap holding it to the main part by a few feet of webbing, to the barrel cannot be very long. So it really cannot be for anything larger than 6 inches. [attachment=0]cover 3.jpg[/attachment]

Obviously made in the US from material and fittings, but that does not mean it couldn't have been made for some other country. To me it looks pre-ww2/early from the color and materials.

Everyone that looks at it says pack 75 or 4.2- just from the size. I have never been able to track down anything from the number D-11117.
Attachments
cover 3.jpg
cover 3.jpg (110.27 KiB) Viewed 229 times
cover 2.jpg
cover 2.jpg (85.18 KiB) Viewed 229 times
cover 1.jpg
cover 1.jpg (197.18 KiB) Viewed 229 times

mbatvburg
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: odd artillery cover any 75mm pack owners here?

Post by mbatvburg » Sun Jul 08, 2018 4:22 pm

That’s an odd piece. I’m familiar with the pack howitzer but see no point in the strapped muzzle cover being separate from the breech cover.
I did some looking and it might be a good place to start your search. The M8 Howitzer Motor Carriage used the M2 and M3 75 howitzer in the turret. Your covers odd, bulky breech cover may be cut to fit around the cradle and guards that surround the gun.
https://archive.org/details/TM9-732B
SNL C-51 is listed as the manual for M2,M3 howitzers. Maybe it will list the number on your canvas?
Brendan

I've had a jeep or two

jgawne
G-Master Sergeant
G-Master Sergeant

Re: odd artillery cover any 75mm pack owners here?

Post by jgawne » Mon Jul 09, 2018 10:43 am

I had thought of that, but didn't see how the strap connecting the main cover to the muzzle part would work.

Return to “Artillery”