My M275 Gas Reo is sick.

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Mulemac02
G-Corporal
G-Corporal
My M275 Gas Reo is sick.

Post by Mulemac02 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 8:57 am

Hi guys a year in a half ago I left my M275 at a friends house to go work in Colorado for a year. One day he went to start it and it sounded like crap. The friend knows about engines and such. He took the valve cover off and investigate it. He found a bent push rod on one of the rocker arms for the valve, and the rocker arm sleeve the oil passes through for lubrication the hole was at a 90% degree and didn't match up to the oil hole where oil comes from the bottom on the engine to lube the top of the engine. I wanted to get new push rod but he bent it back straight. He put it back together and we found a different bent push rod of a different cylinder. Upon starting it again. we haven't fixed it let.

So what do you think is wrong with it?
Not enough oil to the lifters?
Something more wrong with it?

No antifreeze in oil
has good oil psi at 60.
Was rebuilt by military in 1986.

I got a set of new lifters
Should I get a set of new rods?

Will new lifters fix my issue?
did not enough oil get to the lifters and screw something up ?
are my values messed up?

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: My M275 Gas Reo is sick.

Post by W. Winget » Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:00 am

How old is the fuel?
Seen a lot of damage done to cars valve trains when started with stale fuel that's past it's life. It specifically ends up bending push rods as the valve stems gum up apparently. One of the 1st things all these car junkyard restoration recovery TV shows do is substitute a new fuel source before starting an old engine as they explain about possible damage to push rods.

I went away to Afghanistan for a year and no one started my stuff, my Dodge 3/4T Zenith was gummed up so badly she wouldn't run, and the Weasel had the starter gum up the bendix. Just can't let them sit for a year anymore.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Mulemac02
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by Mulemac02 » Fri Mar 03, 2023 1:04 pm

W. Winget wrote:
Fri Mar 03, 2023 10:00 am
How old is the fuel?
Seen a lot of damage done to cars valve trains when started with stale fuel that's past it's life. It specifically ends up bending push rods as the valve stems gum up apparently. One of the 1st things all these car junkyard restoration recovery TV shows do is substitute a new fuel source before starting an old engine as they explain about possible damage to push rods.

I went away to Afghanistan for a year and no one started my stuff, my Dodge 3/4T Zenith was gummed up so badly she wouldn't run, and the Weasel had the starter gum up the bendix. Just can't let them sit for a year anymore.
V/R W. Winget

I would think maybe 4 or 5 months old. At the time of starting but the heat of vegas might of made things worse

CTcckw
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by CTcckw » Fri Mar 03, 2023 3:31 pm

Bent 2 push rods in my gmc because the gas got too old, and it was cold the night before. So I drained the gas and said to myself it doesn’t seem THAT bad… ran it through the lawn mower during summer…. Bent that push rod too. Tap the intake valves with a wood block and hammer to check which are sticky. I had luck getting the valves moving with penetrating oil and that wood and hammer. Everything seasonal gets stabilizer and some marvel mystery oil in the fuel now.
-Jared

1944 GMC CCKW353.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”