CCKW Front Axle knuckle Seal Problem

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

D6c
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

CCKW Front Axle knuckle Seal Problem

Post by D6c » Fri Jan 20, 2023 3:04 pm

I bought a set of front axle knuckle seals from Memphis Equipment for my CCKW (listed for the M135) which I'm told are the same.
The problem I'm running into is the diameter of the rubber seal seems to be about a 1/4" smaller than the old one and fits loose in the retainer.
seal.jpg
....and the spring (from Case IH) fits the new seal very loosely.
spring.jpg
The felt fits the retainer as it should.
felt.jpg
Are the M135's actually different or are the parts not quite right?....or does the seal stretch that much in assembly?

CTcckw
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Re: CCKW Front Axle knuckle Seal Problem

Post by CTcckw » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:23 am

The seal should stretch around the ball of the knuckle just fine as it tightens down. What I don’t know is anything regarding the Case spring. Is the old spring still together? How do they compare?
-Jared

1944 GMC CCKW353.

ragnar
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Post by ragnar » Sat Jan 21, 2023 6:52 am

CTcckw is on target. You really have to put the parts on the truck, and it will make more sense. Brace yourself for the actual install. It can be a bit of
a pain in the butt. I do not recall what was exactly the problem or issue, but I do recall a moderate amount of frustration during installation on both sides. I vaguely recall my frustration having something to do with the metal seal cover. Your parts look great. I think I will make a purchase. My parts were NOS parts and had suffered some from the long-term storage. Please do post an update with your installation experience, and good luck.

D6c
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by D6c » Sat Jan 21, 2023 7:36 am

I don't have the old springs, which were in good condition. My brother needed a pair of springs a couple of years ago to put an IH tractor front axle back together so I let him have them and he ordered replacements from Case IH.
If these new springs won't work I do have two other parts trucks that I can rob springs from.

I do remember my brother telling me it was a bear getting the seals together. Took two guys about 1/2 hr. to fight them together.

D6c
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by D6c » Sat Jan 21, 2023 8:12 am

BTW...the only odd thing about the seal kits is that the one gasket is just wadded up in the package. It'll still work but might take a little ironing out.
gasket.jpg

ragnar

Post by ragnar » Mon Jan 23, 2023 9:45 am

I would not bother with ironing the gasket. You may spend time ironing the gasket only to find that it has shrunk. I have found that many of the NOS gaskets that I purchased have shrunk over the years. I started making my own gaskets. About the only thing I use the original gasket for is to determine how thick the gasket material should be. As for the spring, I would purchase one from one of the European suppliers. There are also several companies here in the US that will manufacture springs for you. I just feel that it would be a shame to put new parts on your truck and then settle for an old, and possibly worn out, part. Please do keep us posted on your progress.

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”