Fuel additives

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Hammerhead
G-Major
G-Major

Fuel additives

Post by Hammerhead » Tue Oct 11, 2022 5:34 am

I wanted to get some opinions from the group.
I only use the "Ethanol Free" 91 Octane Fuel in my WWII Military Vehicles. I was putting "Stable" in the cans although the fuel is turned over every several months between the Military Vehicles, lawn mowers, and Polaris Ranger. I had a HMV friend who I consider very knowledgable tell me I should NOT run the stable fuel in the Military Vehicles.
I also put the "Lead Substitute" in the fuel for the WWII vehicles.
Any opinions?
1943 White M-3 Halftrack, 1944 CCKW 353, 1945 MB, 1944 Bantam T3,
1945 Ben-Hur 1-ton trailer, MVPA 12610, NRA Life Member

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: Fuel additives

Post by W. Winget » Tue Oct 11, 2022 7:04 am

Use the blue mix, not Stabile unless its the newer stabile. I think its Star Tron or such sold at Walmart. Much better with ethanol, and higher octane does not help your engine or fuel quality, you are just paying more for false comfort.
I'm of the opinion that lead is not required in old worn engines. They do not see the high rpms early 70s cars saw when removing lead effected their valve trains in the 80s, and the wear we have allows for less friction. A treatment with an oil additive might be useful, but then wouldn't the oil filter separate out any beneficial floating particulates in the additive? So not sold on any magic treatments yet.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”