Can I use multiviscosity oil in my m35a2 engine?

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Poonie
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Can I use multiviscosity oil in my m35a2 engine?

Post by Poonie » Sat Jul 30, 2022 7:54 am

About to change the oil in my 1970 Kaiser M35A2 multifuel motor. The previous owner included 7 gallons of brand new Rotella 15 W40 oil. I know the data plate says to use SAE 30 or just 30 weight. Back in the day I'm sure this is all they had, but will use of multi viscosity oil damage anything? I know using different viscosities etc is fine in modern engines, just wondering if it would be OK in this engine. I'd hate to have all this oil and not be able to use it. Thanks.

rjbeamer
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

Re: Can I use multiviscosity oil in my m35a2 engine?

Post by rjbeamer » Sat Jul 30, 2022 12:12 pm

That would be the oil of choice if it were me. This is based on the Brand(not the only good brand but one of the best with high Zink content), Your Location(Cold and hot seasons), and 40 weight on the hot end for the age and probably miles on a 1970 vintage engine.
Roger

Poonie
G-Private First Class
G-Private First Class

Post by Poonie » Sat Jul 30, 2022 3:18 pm

I had thought that as well. Just wanted to be sure. Thanks.

John Neuenburg
Gee Old Hand

Post by John Neuenburg » Mon Aug 15, 2022 1:53 pm

Chevron Delo 400 is another good brand. Both are diesel rated and that is important for a diesel. The Total Base Number is supposed to be high. That is a spec that tells us the oil will fight the acidification that happens as oil in a diesel ages. Also diesel oils contain an additive that fights agglomeration of the tiny soot particles from combustion that get into the oil from the rings and cylinder wall texture. They want to agglomerate, or cling, together and eventually form particles big enough to cause wear. Diesel oils usually have more zinc additive than gasoline spec oils, which is an anti-wear additive especially for older, flat-tappet engines. Some people like to put more zinc in their oils, normally an additive containing zinc dialkyldithiophosphate (ZDDP).
Military Vehicle Collectors of California
MVPA 7404
1942 Ford GPW British Special Air Service Regiment Replica
1944 Willys MB
1941 Indian 640
BSA Folding Bicycles
M1942 Command Post Tent

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”