1944 GMC CCKW -1 Recovered

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
1944 GMC CCKW -1 Recovered

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jul 16, 2022 5:59 pm

Hello,

Here is a 1944 GMC CCKW-1 that I rescued here in Florida , which was running when the last owner had it :D :D .
The serial number is 384023-1.
Date of Delivery: August, 1944 .
A construction company used it to haul a water tanker.
The owner that I got it from actually drove it home.
Of course that was a few years ago, but I am hopeful since the engine is sealed it will run again.

My question is, what model truck was this GMC ?
It is a -1 serial number.
I was thinking it was a Compressor truck at one time.
But it had a factory winch, and I was told that Compressor trucks never came with winches.
So that poses an interesting question about what it may have been ?
It is basically set up as a semi truck, and I think they had them during WW2, but the attachment on the rear doesn't really look like it was factory, although maybe it was, as I have never seen one before .

I am hoping the G members can give me an idea of what this truck actually was intended for during WW2 .

There is a compressor of some sort attached to the engine.

Here are some pictures :
Resized_20220715_151548.jpeg
Resized_20220715_151543.jpeg
Resized_20220715_151556.jpeg
Resized_20220715_151541.jpeg
Resized_20220715_151637.jpeg
Resized_20220715_151706.jpeg
Resized_20220715_151736.jpeg
Resized_20220715_151855.jpeg
Resized_20220715_151917.jpeg
The engine mounted compressor
Resized_20220715_151921.jpeg

Does anyone have any ideas ?

I am glad I was able to save her, to add her to the GMC fleet :D :D :D !!

Keep 'em Rolling !!

Best Regards,
Ray

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Re: 1944 GMC CCKW -1 Recovered

Post by mudflap » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:03 pm

Hi Ray,

Nice find! I'm jealous! :) I see it has rifle holders, very cool.

According to the table in paragraph 4, of TM9-801 (Apr 1944), the -1 means it is a split axle truck, without body.
TM9-801.jpg
With regards to compressor trucks with winches, Doyle's "The GMC CCKW Truck in U S Service" has several pictures of compressor trucks with winches.

Beyond that, I'll let others with more experience than me chime in WRT what type of truck it probably was.

BTW, I noticed that the underhood compressor sits right where the oil filter would normally be. Is the oil filter someplace else, like on the other side of the engine ?

Best Regards.....

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:35 pm

mudflap wrote:
Sat Jul 16, 2022 7:03 pm
Hi Ray,

Nice find! I'm jealous! :) I see it has rifle holders, very cool.

According to the table in paragraph 4, of TM9-801 (Apr 1944), the -1 means it is a split axle truck, without body.

TM9-801.jpg

With regards to compressor trucks with winches, Doyle's "The GMC CCKW Truck in U S Service" has several pictures of compressor trucks with winches.

Beyond that, I'll let others with more experience than me chime in WRT what type of truck it probably was.

BTW, I noticed that the underhood compressor sits right where the oil filter would normally be. Is the oil filter someplace else, like on the other side of the engine ?

Best Regards.....
Hello Mudflap ,

Thanks for that great information on this truck.

I will look under the hood to see what it looks like, and if there is an oil filter mounted .
I haven't actually opened the hood yet , but will tomorrow.

This truck needed saving, and is in pretty decent shape with regards to the cab and front fenders, etc.
2 rifle racks are a nice feature as well !
Not to mention the original data plate !!

The rear side flat panels look like they are for a compressor truck.
The frame on this truck, like my 1941 353, was also cut about 12 inches short.

Needless to say, this truck was saved !!!

Too many are being lost to scrappers !!!

If this truck was an actual compressor truck, then my plans for it will be to restore everything from the cab forward, and put it all, and the engine, etc., into an ETO Veteran Tipper that I saved, which returned from France.
That truck has French data plates on the very rusted away cab.
The tipper was from an Aero Sqaudron restaurant and was a display truck.
Unfortunately it was along the coast in South Florida where the salt air decided to eat away at the cab and rims.
That truck has a rebuilt engine from the French Army, but the crank was taken out, and the winch was cut off, like my 1941 353.

This truck has everything that truck needs, including the winch extensions, and a 2/3 of a Garwood winch left, that was cannibalized by someone.

So all that this truck has will be restored and will save the dump truck !

Wow I have a lot of projects :D :D !!

Best Regards ,
Ray

CTcckw
G-Corporal
G-Corporal

Post by CTcckw » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:47 am

Nice find! The catwalk and step the tanks are mounted on definitely look like compressor truck parts, plus the reinforced frame. I would agree the 5th wheel and trailer air parts were post service, although some were converted while in service.
-Jared

1944 GMC CCKW353.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:50 am

CTcckw wrote:
Sun Jul 17, 2022 6:47 am
Nice find! The catwalk and step the tanks are mounted on definitely look like compressor truck parts, plus the reinforced frame. I would agree the 5th wheel and trailer air parts were post service, although some were converted while in service.
Thanks CT CCKW !

These are rarely found in Florida in such nice condition with regards to the cab and sheet metal.
Those parts I am pretty sure are compressor truck platforms.
It will be a great way to fully restore now my Tipper that returned from Europe.I think that truck would have been scrapped by most, but not me, it will be perfect again with this cab !!!

Must get the big barn built...Must get the big barn built .... :D :D :D :D !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”