WWI Packard Carb?

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

Schultzd
G-Colonel
G-Colonel

WWI Packard Carb?

Post by Schultzd » Wed Feb 16, 2022 3:55 pm

IMG_1840.jpg
IMG_1839.jpg
IMG_1838.jpg
Hello all;

I am unfamiliar with large truck stuff, but a friend says this is a Packard Liberty truck carb. Maybe a Packard Lubricator model? Looking for information and possible value, it will probably be for sale. This looked like probably the most relevant forum, but would also look at other venues or forums for more guidance. Thanks in advance.

Dan
Dan Schultz
Retired USA SFC
GP 9275
GPW 14944 M38 MC70324
M38A1 MD20035
K-38 Lineman Trailer

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Re: WWI Packard Carb?

Post by W. Winget » Thu Feb 17, 2022 5:39 pm

Dan:
As the owner of a Liberty (Standard Class B 1918 Truck) I can assure you it is not a "Stromberg M-3", or "USA" carb used on the "Liberty" trucks.

Packard did make large trucks and a significant contribution to mobilizing the Army in WWI, but the title of "Liberty" was specifically given to the 1918 Standard "Class B" 3-5ton model as designed by the Society of Automotive Engineers (SAE) in 1917 for its contribution as the 1st Standardized Army truck. There was a smaller "Standard Class A" built in lower numbers, and a "Class C" was considered (too big), but the "Class B" with the raised "USA" on the radiator of the truck Type I and Type II) were the mass produced 'accepted" Army standard vehicle.

Somewhere I have the newspaper article from 1918 or such that details it's receiving the label "Liberty" for its contribution to winning the War.

Fun Fact: Type I has full up electric, Generator, battery, lights, blackout drive, and dual sparkplugs per cylinder (Mag and Dizzy at the same time) seems it was too much for troops in the field, (actually Supply Depots were simplified) so they switched to making Type II's with oil lamps and just a Magneto (one plug per cylinder) along with other simplifications.

Fun Fact II: All Liberty trucks that had survived in the military up to 1934 were rounded up and sent as scrap to Japan on long train loads of old obsolete Army material. This was done to force units to get rid of obsolete equipment and clear the way for more modern machines (Like the Deuces being eliminated in the 2000's) Source: An Army Majors 'War College' report on Army Modernization written in 1939...before 1941....imagine Liberty Trucks were potentially smelted and used in Battle Ships, Torpedoes and Bombs which were returned to the US 7 Dec 1941... :shock:

Hey, didn't we just leave 80 mil in equipment in Afghanistan....Never any Lessons Learned... :roll:

V/R W Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”