1941 GMC CCKW 353 Restoration Project

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General
Re: 1941 GMC CCKW 353 Restoration Project

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:36 am

D.R.H. wrote:
Fri Jul 29, 2022 8:08 pm
Hi Ray, I hope that You're doing well. I talked to my friend about some Jimmy parts that He has and He is willing to speak with you. Please send me a P.M. with Your phone number so I can forward it to Him. I asked and was told that it is okay to give out his number and best time to talk, but only through P.M. :)
Hello Dave,

Thanks, that is great !

I will send you a PM.

Thanks,
Ray
Last edited by 70th Division on Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:37 am, edited 2 times in total.

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jul 31, 2022 7:36 am

Hello Dave,

I am looking forward to working on the 1941 GMC, and I really have enjoyed following your great works, starting with the GMC you worked on in California, and now your great Chevy's !!

Keep up your great work !

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sun Jul 31, 2022 8:05 am

ragnar wrote:
Sun Jul 31, 2022 6:20 am
Ray.
Just wanted to throw out some cost saving advice. I was looking at the pile of parts that you received from the Europe. You can find some of these parts here in the states. The fan belt is available commercially, NAPA or AutoZone. Be careful ordering things like paper gaskets and canvas items from Europe or anywhere. I learned early in my restoration endeavor that fifty plus year old paper and canvas shrinks. Even some of the metal parts from Europe are an issue. Everything that I have purchased from Holland, you have mentioned some of them, is top notch. The only issue with the stuff from Holland is that the shipping is beyond ridiculous. I am very cautious what I buy from France. I do not know what it is about, but almost all of the stuff that I have purchased from France looks like it was stored outside, rusty. Due to this I have avoided purchasing machined metal parts, things like trans and transfer case gears, from France. I just don't see the point of shipping scrap metal across an ocean. Frank's CCKWs in Canada is a great source for parts. Frank travels to the US occasionally, and I have travelled to Canada to visit Frank. I can always pick up stuff for you when I there. There are other great dealers here in the states and I am not intentionally omitting them. I feel that I am the king of moving CCKW stuff around the world on the cheap. I got four demountable banjo brake drums out of Switzerland for a little over $150.00, and a set, left and right, of running boards from Australia for free. I know that there are other reputable CCKW suppliers here in the US and I am not intentionally omitting them.

Your 41 CCKW looks great. I am so glad that you picked it up and are making the effort to restore it. Go to the hilt with it. Do not listen to the people that suggest corner cutting. I look forward to your updates during your restoration process. I have been working on an open cab 1944 airborne transportable CCKW for about 12 years now. Slow restoration process between deployments to Iraq and Afghanistan. PM me if you are looking for parts or technical advice.
Hello Ragnar,

Thanks for your Service and thanks for that information and encouragement !!
This truck shall be restored, and I will do my best !
I am having fun collecting the missing items like the winch, the frame extensions, the frame rail pieces, and a few parts from Holland that my friend in France sent me.

I would like to get a catalogue from Frank if possible.

These are such great trucks, and in my opinion are like works of art !!
They are beautiful, and have that timeless look about them, there is something there, that is hard to explain to others,
that may not yet understand.

You certainly have a very rare GMC CCKW !!!!

Keep up your great work, we would all like to see a few pictures as well if you can post some !!

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Mon Oct 17, 2022 1:53 pm

Hello,

France to the rescue again !

My friend Thierry has gotten me 2 beautiful bumperettes for the truck.

These will come is nice, along with a battery cover.

Another small step on the road to restoration.
Resized_IMG-20221011-WA0001_26825541150597.jpeg
Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”