CCKW Oil Filter Lines

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
Gbuckbee
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

CCKW Oil Filter Lines

Post by Gbuckbee » Mon May 20, 2019 2:11 pm

So, where can I get replacement Oil Lines that go In and out of the Oil Filter, or do you just make them out of copper tubing, providing I can figure out the fittings. The line that goes into the side of the filter is cloth, and then becomes steel and runs across the front of the engine,...haven't found the other end yet. The one that comes out of the bottom, goes into the crankcase via the right fuel pump bolt whole,....can't believe that is where it is suppose to go,....is that correct??….or did someone modify this, to accommodate the flat top fuel pump.

I mean does oil really flow though these small lines to be filtered or what,...almost seems like this system is lacking in design. The Jeeps are the same way, and people have just removed the oil filters on those, because the weren't really doing any good.

????????????????????

motto
G-Major
G-Major

Re: CCKW Oil Filter Lines

Post by motto » Mon May 20, 2019 8:52 pm

The oil to the filter will come from one of two locations .On some engines it will be supplied from a 'Y' fitting on the front of the cylinder head and on others from a fitting screwed into the forward end of the oil gallery.
The return to the oil pan through the hollow bolt securing the fuel pump is standard. ( fwd bolt),

David

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Post by Ben Dover » Mon May 20, 2019 9:23 pm

Frank von Rosensteil has fresh manufactured fuel lines with correct fittings.
It's not a bad job, just takes time and gives one a feel for what life as a WWII mechanic was. Imagine what the WWII mechanic went thru using those clumsy WWII era GI Issue wrenches.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

mudflap
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Post by mudflap » Tue May 21, 2019 10:46 pm

FYI,

Here is a drawing from SNL G-508 ORD789, that shows the routing of the oil filter feed line.

Front of Engine.jpg
Front of Engine.jpg (95.51 KiB) Viewed 128 times

Also..
almost seems like this system is lacking in design. The Jeeps are the same way, and people have just removed the oil filters on those, because the weren't really doing any good.
Remember, back in the '40s, an oil filter was a relatively new concept. Unlike modern engines that pass 100% of the oil through the filter, the system on the CCKW was basically an add-on, so there is not a lot of oil flow through it. But, hey... It is definitely better than nothing.
do you just make them out of copper tubing
I would never use copper tubing on an oil (or fuel) line. Copper can work harden over time, leading to a fatigue failure.

Best Regards....

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”