Any interest in windshield glass etching stencils

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Any interest in windshield glass etching stencils

Post by retro-roco » Wed Apr 24, 2019 6:23 am

I have been offering these custom stencils for several years to the Chevy G506 crowd. Several have mentioned that they are also using them on other vehicles they own too.

The stencils are self-adhesive and are used to chemically etch the glass, and replicate the logos originally etched in the window glass. Here are pics of the stencil artwork:

Windshield Stencil

Side - rear window stencil

Please note that the outer "frame" lines are not part of the stencil, but indicate where they are separated from one another.

The stencils are intended for single use only, and for use on glass lying flat. If you elect to use them on glass that as been installed, the acid cream should easily stay in place; allowing for a good etch to be achieved. The removal of it WILL be more challenging though, requiring it to be wiped off with a wet sponge or rag. You will need to take steps to insure that the acid cream does not come in contact with exposed surfaces of your truck! I would suggest having a bucket of clean water handy, so any acid cream can flushed immediately with clean water if it does come in contact.

Here is a link to the FS post viewtopic.php?f=25&t=239696

I have created custom fonts that duplicate the etching stencils used by Libby-Owens-Ford (LOF) glass company, based on original glass photos provided by Chevy owners. The Chevy stencil kit included 5 stencils (2 windshield glass, 2 door glass and 1 rear window glass).

Any interest in creating a similar "windshield only" stencil project for all the soft cab trucks that are running around??
IMG_6024-LH.jpg
IMG_6024-LH.jpg (67.78 KiB) Viewed 1284 times
Original
6-1940 LOF plate.JPG
6-1940 LOF plate.JPG (119 KiB) Viewed 1283 times
Last edited by retro-roco on Wed Apr 24, 2019 12:41 pm, edited 5 times in total.
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

waayfast
G-Command Sergeant Major
G-Command Sergeant Major

Re: Any interest in windshield glass etching stencils

Post by waayfast » Wed Apr 24, 2019 11:51 am

Kirk,
I just wanted to let you know that the stencils I ordered arrived safely in the mail! Thanks for offering such a unique item at such a reasonable price.

Amazes me to no end the amount of knowledge and talent of folks in this hobby.

As we discussed I am far from a expert when in comes to glass but I have installed quite a few windshields both commercially and on my own projects over the years. That's why I recognized the LOF as a major glass supplier. Question is -- were they the only supplier for glass during wwii? I have 4 G506 Chevies and the Ward LaFrance M1A1 Heavy wrecker here on the place. All of the glass markings look identical-- all are "LOF" 1941 to 1944 except one side of the WLF windshield, the font seems to be a little thicker but it is a post war replacement dated 1948.

I have 6 (and a half :D ) Cletracs on the place as well but not a one has even a windshield frame let alone any glass so I'm now curious if any tractors had safety glass. Any markings? LOF?

My guess would be that what ever your WWII truck may be --Stude US6, CCKW, Mack NO, Diamond T, etc,etc, if it came with LOF glass, these stencils are probably correct. I just can't imagine why LOF or any other glass supplier (if indeed there are any other) would have bothered to make different markings for different vehicles.

Anyone else on here care to share what their glass markings look like? Dodge, Jeep, etc? ( all makes invited LOL :). )

Jim

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:48 pm

Hello Jim,

Here are the LOF markings on my newly acquired 1941 GMC CCKW 353 :
Resized_20211030_170743(1)(1).jpeg
Resized_20211030_171242.jpeg
Resized_20211030_181907(1).jpeg
Resized_Resized_20211030_171242.jpeg
All dated 1941 .
The passenger's side door window
is dated 9 41, the rear cab window also looks to be 9 41.
The driver's side front window is 11 41.

Truck was delivered 12-4-41.

The driver's side door window was smashed, but I pulled a piece out and it was dated 1942. It was already replaced during the War 😁

Best Regards,
Ray

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Sat Oct 30, 2021 4:53 pm

Hello Kirk,

Those stencils look great !

If you still have any available I would be interested in a set.

Best Regards,
Ray

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Mon Nov 01, 2021 6:04 pm

Hi Ray,
Thanks for the kind words on the stencils. It has been a while since I made my last batch. Let me check to see what dates I currently have available. With a delivery date of 12/41, any dates in late 41 would be appropriate. I saw that your existing glass had dates of 9/41 and 11/41. Are you ok with all glass having the same dates, or would you prefer to match the mix of dates you curently have?

My sets are normally $25 per set shipped. To do a custom set, it would probaably be around $35 plus $1.00 shipping.

I'll check the dates available, and then you can decide how you want to proceed.
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

70th Division
G-Lieutenant General
G-Lieutenant General

Post by 70th Division » Tue Nov 02, 2021 9:52 am

Hello,

Thanks Kirk !!

This is great that your offer these stencils !

I am thinking I would like to create what I have dated on the truck, just to keep it accurate .

Of course the driver's side window will be done to match the passenger's side, since it was a replacement from 1942.

I will check the front glass again today to verify the passenger's side date.

Update:

Yes - I would like 11-41 for the 2 windshield panes, and 9-41 for the 2 side windows, and rear window.

The passenger side windshield glass had no markings so was replaced in the past.

Keep 'em Rolling !!!

Best Regards,
Ray

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”