CCKW drive shaft question...

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base
RedArrow2016
G-Major
G-Major

CCKW drive shaft question...

Post by RedArrow2016 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 1:08 am

Does a CCKW have different size drive shafts? I believe there is 3 total that make up the drive shaft for the CCKW. The reason I am asking is that I am going through a pile of them here that I got from unloading parts the other day and I was wondering if they are the same size or not from the front to the rear of the CCKW. And I know the CCKW had a few different axles it uses if I remember right but anyways is there value to these or not because I suppose every truck out there in the junk yards to finding them under an old oak tree has them on them right? Thanks for all the help I can get in this. And I will get pictures of these on here as soon as I can because I know that there is going to be people wanting to know or wanting to look at these shafts. So please be patient with me but I will try to get them on in a day or two letting you know. Take care and many blessings...
US ARMY 1995-2000
32nd Brigade,126th Field Artillery, Battery D
redarrowarmyparts.org/redarrowmilitaryllc@gmail.com

Ben Dover
Gee Addict

Re: CCKW drive shaft question...

Post by Ben Dover » Fri Apr 12, 2019 5:04 am

There are SWB, LWB, and Split shafts are not necessarily the same length as Banjo. Each CCKW has 5 Shafts. Some have square flanges on one end,and slip yokes can vary in length.The 1945 Ord 9 explains it all with illustrations. It takes some study and hands on knowledge to become fluent. If the tags with the part numbers are on them it will be simple.
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

gyknot
G-Sergeant
G-Sergeant

Post by gyknot » Fri Apr 12, 2019 11:32 am

Value...I've found that if I toss something or scrap it, shortly after somebody turns up looking desperately for one. Keep in mind on driveshafts, even if its bent or bad, the ends can be valuable to somebody looking to repair or build a new one.
Personally, if you have the room to pile them all up on a pallet and put it out of the way, I'd keep them.
Individually they are light and easy to handle if the day comes to throw them on the scrap pile.

RedArrow2016
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RedArrow2016 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:10 pm

Well I do have the room for storing them here that is not the problem here at all, just seeing if it is something that is common for people in the sense of they need a set or not and thanks for the information about keeping them for sure I am going to do that because they have value in the sense of the history of these as well...
US ARMY 1995-2000

RedArrow2016
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RedArrow2016 » Fri Apr 12, 2019 9:11 pm

Does anyone know where to get a nice manual for a CCKW? And how much are they going nowadays here for a price? Thanks.
US ARMY 1995-2000

retro-roco
G-Brigadier General
G-Brigadier General

Post by retro-roco » Sat Apr 13, 2019 4:45 am

Hi Red Arrow,
Presume you're looking for a parts manual more than a maintenance manual?? Portrayal Press sells quality reproduction manuals of all types. TM-WW2.com sells top quality digital PDF manuals. Let me check, I think I have a parts manual printed by Memphis Equipment. It shows mechanical parts only, including brake, engine and driveline components. Includes illustrations and part numbers. Thinking I should scan it and make it searchable.
Kirk Gustafson
359th Infantry Regt. 90th Div. WWII HRS

1942 Chevy G506 1-1/2 ton 4x4 Cargo
1943 Ben Hur water trailer

RedArrow2016
G-Major
G-Major

Post by RedArrow2016 » Sat Apr 13, 2019 2:10 pm

Yes a parts manual is what I am truly looking for here. And thanks a lot for the help.
US ARMY 1995-2000

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”