Studebaker US6 always get air bubbles when vacuum bleed wheel cylinders

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

sixbysix
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant
Studebaker US6 always get air bubbles when vacuum bleed wheel cylinders

Post by sixbysix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 4:33 am

Am having trouble with air in my US6 brake system. I can't seem to (vacuum) bleed three of the 4 back wheels without getting air bubbles. Brake pedal is going to the floor. So there seems to be an air leak somewhere I can't find. I am not losing brake fluid as far as I can tell - the master cylinder doesn't need topping up. When I press the brake pedal there doesn't seem to be any movement of brake fluid in the master cylinder (when looking at the master cylinder reservoir with the cap out).
Any suggestions?

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Re: Studebaker US6 always get air bubbles when vacuum bleed wheel cylinders

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:33 am

Use a pressure bleeder, keep your master Cylinder full. What type vacuum bleeder are you using and how old are your brake cylinders?
2011 MVPA PIONEER AWARD - MVPA #1064
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES
LIFE MEMBER AM LEGION-40/8-DAV
7 MIL SPEC MAINTAINED MV'S
COL. BRUNO BROOKS (ARMY MOTORS) IS MY HERO

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 6:10 am

Sometimes sucking air through the bleeder screw threads.
Marty once suggested using teflon liquid on the threads. This also stops the bleeders rusting in the wheel cylinder.
I have used a thick bead of paint around where the thread fits in the wheel cylinder.
Joel might be onto something when he asks what type of vacuum bleeder you are using....the little Mytvac units are not up to much.
Here is a surplus standard type mechanical fuel pump I use for standard & reverse bleeding.
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
TO DIAGNOSE, TROUBLESHOOT OR FAULT FIND ANY AUTO SYSTEM....
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

sixbysix
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sixbysix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:08 am

Hi Ben
wheel cylinders were relined stainless steel about 5 years ago.
Vacuum bleeder is a Toledo that you hook up to an air compressor

I could organise a pressure bleeder I guess - use a rubber stopper to replace the master cylinder cap with a hole drilled in it and connect to an insecticide hand pump ...?

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:11 am

Are you bleeding the hydrovac?
Here's how to make a simple pressure bleeder:
http://jeepdraw.com/images/HOW%20to%20B ... LEEDER.pdf
John GIBBINS Member Institute of Automotive Mechanical Engineers [Ret], ASE Master Medium/Heavy Truck & Auto Technician USA -2002 Licensed Motor Mech NSW MVIC 49593 Current 2015
Understand how system parts interact with one another. GOOD parts can then be established & the NOT GOOD problem/s part/s isolated for repair or replacement.

sixbysix
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sixbysix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:13 am

Hi Artificer
you could possibly be onto something there have always thought that the threads might be an air "leak" point.
The thing that concerns me is that when I look at the master cylinder reservoir and pump the pedal there is zero Brake fluid movement. I also pulled out the vacuum bleeder because my attempts at a normal pump the pedal manual bleed - failed to get any brake fluid coming out of the bleeder sites - except for one ( i.e. failed for 3 of the 4 rear wheels - note I haven't tried the front wheels yet .....

sixbysix
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sixbysix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:16 am

Hi Artificer
Studebaker US6 doest have a Hydrovac it has a Power booster with no hydraulic fluid attachments - just vacuum lines that run ta check valve and operating valve

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 am

Worked on both Studebakers & GMC's when in the military & thought they both used hydrovacs. You are probably correct as memory could be fading on what one did 50 odd years ago.
Pulling air @ bleeders is only relative to when one is vacuum bleeding.

sixbysix
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sixbysix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:37 am

Yes i understand re the vacuum bleeding
Am just a little concerned that I may have a "shot" master cylinder - your thoughts?
This was relined in stainless around 5 years ago also .....

artificer
banned

Post by artificer » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:10 am

BTW do not use any NOS rubber brake components.

Very possible the primary cup has failed.
Check:

This condition will allow the pedal to go down with next to no resistance.
With a helper loosen a fitting near the master cylinder outlet & see if fluid is coming out under pressure when the pedal is depressed.
Wash off fluid if it exits @ this point.

Possible Causes:
Usually there is a thin brass shim between the piston & primary cup.
This causes the fluid rushing past the primary cup collapsing on brake release to be equally distributed around the cup.
Left out, as often occurs, the primary cup becomes eroded where the piston's little holes mate with the primary cup.
Eventually the cup looks like a soft drink bottle cap & will not produce or hold pressure.

Also pedal pump bleeding can allow the primary cup to get damaged if the piston & primary cup bottom out or come in contact with a master cylinder check valve, when they have traveled too far.

sixbysix
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sixbysix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 8:28 am

There is some resistance if the truck is not running and almost no resistance when the truck is running ......

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 11:28 am

artificer wrote:
Thu Mar 14, 2019 7:32 am
Worked on both Studebakers & GMC's when in the military & thought they both used hydrovacs. You are probably correct as memory could be fading on what one did 50 odd years ago.
Pulling air @ bleeders is only relative to when one is vacuum bleeding.
Studebaker US-6 and US-6X4 did not have Hydrovacs, the used a Vacuum Power Cylinder which assisted the the Master Cylinder via a mechanical linkage of rods and levers. Your Master Cylinder is the same as the CCKW with the hydrovac. It is a WAGNER F-1251 and the Wagner kit number is a 5350.

Perhaps it is time for a Master Cylinder Kit.
HONOR GRAD-WHEELED VEHICLE MECHANIC SCHOOL 1960 - US ARMY ORDNANCE SCHOOL(MACHINIST) ABERDEEN PG 1962 - O-1 BIRD DOG CREWCHIEF - 300,000+TROUBLE FREE M-38A1 MILES

W. Winget
LTC, U.S. Army
LTC, U.S. Army

Post by W. Winget » Thu Mar 14, 2019 2:00 pm

How about the possibility that you are pulling air around the slave cylinder cups...they are designed to expand against the cylinder walls under pressure. Pulling a vacuum on the system will induce air pressure in the opposite direction of the cylinder cup design.
Try gravity bleeding with helper pushing or pressure from master and see if you get bubbles.
Silicone fluid will hold bubbles in suspension much longer than Dot 3 or 4 too.
V/R W. Winget
Looking for 1918 Standard B 'Liberty' truck parts

Joe Gopan
Jeep Heaven

Post by Joe Gopan » Thu Mar 14, 2019 3:46 pm

Assuming your brake lines and cylinders are serviceable, you may have better luck with pressure or manual bleeding. The source of your air bubbles may be from the master cylinder which is quite a distance from the rear wheel cylinders.

sixbysix
G-Staff Sergeant
G-Staff Sergeant

Post by sixbysix » Thu Mar 14, 2019 5:55 pm

thanks all - will let you know what I find

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”