Veterans Day Tribute

Military Trucks 2 1/2 ton and greater, Wanted, For Sale (NO AUCTION or EBAY), and Knowledge Base

Moderator: kw573

mudflap
Sergeant Major of the Gee
Sergeant Major of the Gee

Veterans Day Tribute

Post by mudflap » Sat Nov 10, 2018 8:44 pm

To All,

This post is a little long, but as this is Veterans Day, I would like to share this experience with you, and hope that you find it worth the read.

As some of you may know, I work for General Motors at their Technical Center in Warren MI. Every November we have a ceremony in our building and the one next to us, honoring our Veterans. A color guard from one of the local Veteran's organization is present. Speakers at this event have included veterans such as former GM VP and Marine Pilot Bob Lutz. Often it is someone currently serving such as the CO from nearby Selfridge ANG base. One year we were even honored with a visit from two Navajo Code Talkers, who gave a riveting insight into their experiences during WWII.

While one of the ceremony's main objectives is to pay respect to our fellow coworkers who have served in the US military, the event is open to all. A good many present have sons, daughters or other relatives who have served, or are currently serving. Retirees are especially well received, and while their ranks have grown considerably thinner over the years, there are still usually one or two WWII vets present. It tends to be a very well attended event - large enough to require the building auditorium or cafeteria area, in order to fit everyone in.

Frequently, at the end of the ceremony, a wireless microphone is passed around. Those in attendance will stand up, state their name, branch of service, and brief history of their time in uniform. As the mic goes around you will hear things like: "I am ..... I was in the US Navy from 72 - 75, and served aboard the USS Oriskany ". Or: "I served in the US Coast Guard from 1998 to 2002 in Miami, and performed mostly drug interdiction work." Or, "My name is..... and I have a daughter in the US Army, currently serving in Afghanistan." "I served in the US Air Force from 1970 to 1976 and flew C-141s." ( I may have some of these dates and assignments mixed up, but I'm sure you get the picture.)

Several years ago, the microphone wound its way through the large crowd, and finally ended up in the very last row, in the hands of a young Marine. And when I say young, I mean I wonder if this young man was even shaving yet. As he stood up, the entire auditorium was turned around in their seats with their attention focused on him. All those people looking at him obviously made him a little anxious. You could almost see his cheeks flush in contrast to his dress blues. As he nervously spoke into the microphone he said: "My name is..... I just finished boot camp.... And.... Well... I haven't done anything yet..." His nervous expression turned to awe, as the entire auditorium rose up and gave that young Marine a standing ovation. You could literally read the thoughts of everyone in that room by the universal expression on each and every one of their faces: "Haven't done anything!?! Son, you just finished boot camp! You've already accomplished more than many people will ever do!!"

I will never forget that scene. It is indelibly written into my brain. I don't think I have ever felt more proud of my coworkers or my country than at that moment.

So, to all of you that have worn, or currently wear the uniform of our armed forces, I give to you a standing ovation and sincerely thank you for your service to our great country, and may God bless all of you.

Warmest and Best Regards......

RedArrow2016
G-Major
G-Major

Re: Veterans Day Tribute

Post by RedArrow2016 » Thu Nov 15, 2018 2:02 pm

Well well said here and I am glad that you took the time to sharing this. I could not agree more to what you said here...

I never had any regrets wearing the uniform at all. I felt that it was my job. I remembered the stories from my father and my grandfather. I never thought that in the time that I served that I would of seen the stuff that I seen. And I will just say that having this job of getting parts on to the web here or on the G has been a true honor to me in the sense that this history of what we are doing really means the world to my grandfather that is not here anymore for he passed many years ago. But we are all in a brotherhood here on the G and I try to do the best that I can with the stuff that I have here. I might be a rookie to most on the G, but I will tell you this that this rookie is thankful for all that have served this great country and to giving me the time to helping me with this business that is slowly taking off.

In closing lets never forget the men that came before us that sacrificed everything for us to have what we have here. And that is a great country that is being watched by our God. And I wanted to thank all that have served and say thank you!

Many blessings to all here on the G and God be with us all....
US ARMY 1995-2000
32nd Brigade,126th Field Artillery, Battery D
redarrowparts.com/ email me at bryan@redarrowparts.com

Return to “Trucks 2 1/2 ton +”